Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals! After searching here and google, I still haven't found the answers to my questions. Forgive me if the questions I ask have already been answered. I have a 2016 JKU Sport with the stock 130 head unit and no sub. It's awful. I am on a wife imposed budget (probably for the better) and I'm pretty well set on the Kicker speaker upgrade as they are plug an play and cheap. My question is, with retaining the factory 130 head unit(for now), are there any cheap(ish) sub-woofer/amp setups that I can add (via harnesses/adapters) without cutting factory wires that will work? I am not looking to have the best system in the world, just decent sound and decent bass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was in your exact position and spent way too much time researching, so here's your solution. Total cost is about $325, and a lot of patience. My sound system sounds better than my friend's Sahara with the Alpine upgraded speaker system (except on hip hop songs, you kinda need a subwoofer, but aside from that its louder and cleaner):

-two sets of kicker 77kick10 (four speakers total, two in soundbar, two in lower dash)
-one set of kicker 77kick25 (two speakers total, both in upper dash)
-Alpine KTP445u amplifier

Without the amplifier, these new speakers sound good, but are under powered and aren't truly THAT much better than the god awful complete POS stock speakers. It sounds miles better, but for the amount of time it took me to install and find the speakers for a reasonable price (they've gone up a LOT recently for no reason - you used to be able to get four 77kick10 speakers for like $120 on Amazon, now one set of two speakers is about $90, or if you have a lot of patience to find them on eBay like I did, $65), I honestly wasn't blown away like I wanted to be. But that makes total sense because you're still using the god awful head unit.

To install the amplifier without cutting any factory wires like I did, buy these available through Amazon prime for like $25 total
-(1) Metra harness 71-6522
-(2) Metra harness 70-6522

The reason you need two of the 706522 harness is because you need two extra wire pins, which you'll take from the extra harness and add to the 706522 you're going to use. The harness comes with 8 pins (these are all the speakers), plus two more - the ground and the power; the two additional pins you'll take from the extra harness and add to it are for the CANBUS- and CANBUS+. Saving you the disgusting amount of time and threads I made to finally get a response on what these do: they give you steering wheel controls, Bluetooth and Uconnect stuff, Sirius XM, FM connection. When I first installed my amplifier I didn't put the two CANBUS ports in correctly, and I couldn't figure out why none of my bluetooth features worked (USB port didn't work either) and why the Sirius and FM had such horrible connections all of a sudden. Doing it correctly on the first time, mind you it's a huge pain to get the pins out without damaging them like I did on the first time, will save you a lot of headache.

You then just run the yellow wire from the alpine unit directly to the battery. This sounds scary but if I can do it, you can, trust me. It's pretty easy with clear instructions.

I have a wiring diagram if you need it, and can explain more. I can't tell you how long it took me researching to finally figure out how to confidently make this thing and ensure I wouldn't blow my unit.

I should note, it's incredibly easy to make the harness, I'm just very inexperienced with this stuff and had to learn everything on the go which made it difficult. I'll probably post a guide if anyone needs it -- you can literally install this amp and make the custom harness in less than an hour with a good guide. But there's not a single full guide on here that uses the Metra harnesses, so if anyone needs, I can make one. (also, a lot of people used some PAC thingy that costs like $50 or more, and many people insisted you need it to make the harness, but this is completely false, you can do this for $20 without cutting any factory wires. Hopefully this post doesn't come off poorly I just feel strongly about the lack of any sort of clear guide/clarification on how to do it, hopefully someone can prove me wrong and link one lol that'd be bittersweet

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was in your exact position and spent way too much time researching, so here's your solution. Total cost is about $325, and a lot of patience. My sound system sounds better than my friend's Sahara with the Alpine upgraded speaker system (except on hip hop songs, you kinda need a subwoofer, but aside from that its louder and cleaner):

-two sets of kicker 77kick10 (four speakers total, two in soundbar, two in lower dash)

Without the amplifier, these new speakers sound good, but are under powered and aren't truly THAT much better than the god awful complete POS stock speakers. It sounds miles better, but for the amount of time it took me to install and find the speakers for a reasonable price (they've gone up a LOT recently for no reason - you used to be able to get four 77kick10 speakers for like $120 on Amazon, now one set of two speakers is about $90, or if you have a lot of patience to find them on eBay like I did, $65), I honestly wasn't blown away like I wanted to be. But that makes total sense because you're still using the god awful head unit.

To install the amplifier without cutting any factory wires like I did, buy these available through Amazon prime for like $25 total

The reason you need two of the 706522 harness is because you need two extra wire pins, which you'll take from the extra harness and add to the 706522 you're going to use. The harness comes with 8 pins (these are all the speakers), plus two more - the ground and the power; the two additional pins you'll take from the extra harness and add to it are for the CANBUS- and CANBUS+. Saving you the disgusting amount of time and threads I made to finally get a response on what these do: they give you steering wheel controls, Bluetooth and Uconnect stuff, Sirius XM, FM connection. When I first installed my amplifier I didn't put the two CANBUS ports in correctly, and I couldn't figure out why none of my bluetooth features worked (USB port didn't work either) and why the Sirius and FM had such horrible connections all of a sudden. Doing it correctly on the first time, mind you it's a huge pain to get the pins out without damaging them like I did on the first time, will save you a lot of headache.

You then just run the yellow wire from the alpine unit directly to the battery. This sounds scary but if I can do it, you can, trust me. It's pretty easy with clear instructions.

I have a wiring diagram if you need it, and can explain more. I can't tell you how long it took me researching to finally figure out how to confidently make this thing and ensure I wouldn't blow my unit.

I should note, it's incredibly easy to make the harness, I'm just very inexperienced with this stuff and had to learn everything on the go which made it difficult. I'll probably post a guide if anyone needs it -- you can literally install this amp and make the custom harness in less than an hour with a good guide. But there's not a single full guide on here that uses the Metra harnesses, so if anyone needs, I can make one. (also, a lot of people used some PAC thingy that costs like $50 or more, and many people insisted you need it to make the harness, but this is completely false, you can do this for $20 without cutting any factory wires. Hopefully this post doesn't come off poorly I just feel strongly about the lack of any sort of clear guide/clarification on how to do it, hopefully someone can prove me wrong and link one lol that'd be bittersweet

Wow this sounds like what I need to do.
I did the roll bar speakers but that it's.
I would like as much info as I can get just on connecting the amp and making the harness up.
350 sounds good to me for now my stock system is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

You're my hero! I will definitely be looking into this! If you have the time, please send or post any diagrams or write-ups that you have. If I go this route, would it be possible to add a sub and another dedicated sub amp later? If so, could this be adapted to the custom harness?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're my hero! I will definitely be looking into this! If you have the time, please send or post any diagrams or write-ups that you have. If I go this route, would it be possible to add a sub and another dedicated sub amp later? If so, could this be adapted to the custom harness?
Yea you can, I think, not 100% sure though. I don't see why not. I'll post the guide tomorrow, I'm drunk rn

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread, but I would make one mod to what tumibe said. Lose the 77kick25's. I did the exact same mod, but with four of the 77kick25's, and was disappointed with the results. After a while, I decided to try it without the 77kick25's and found this to be a great improvement.

The reasoning, I think, is that the 77kick10's are rated up to 55W and the amp puts out 45W, well within their capability. When you put the 77kick25's in parallel, you are robbing half the power and sending it to the smaller/inferior speaker.

Oh, and I have two sets of the 77kick25's if anyone wants them...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread, but I would make one mod to what tumibe said. Lose the 77kick25's. I did the exact same mod, but with four of the 77kick25's, and was disappointed with the results. After a while, I decided to try it without the 77kick25's and found this to be a great improvement.

The reasoning, I think, is that the 77kick10's are rated up to 55W and the amp puts out 45W, well within their capability. When you put the 77kick25's in parallel, you are robbing half the power and sending it to the smaller/inferior speaker.

So you only have 4 speakers total?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to make sure I'm seeing this right...is there a dedicated ground wire for the amp itself? It looks like it is grounded through the harness in the first diagram, but in the second picture it looks like there is a standalone ground wire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, I only have (had) four speakers. I ran that way for a while and it was a big improvement. Later, I added a sub for another leap forward.

There is a dedicated ground (black wire) on the amp. Look at the top left of the picture.

I would also recommend soldering your wires. I used those splices and after 6 months had one that was loose and the speaker would pop or cut out. I ended up pulling it all out and soldering everything.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I can see losing the sound bar kick 25's. but the front make a world of difference in raising the sound stage and getting it off the floor. need bass blockers on them though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't find it that bad, but everyone has different tastes. I admit though, that if I was doing it again, I'd use components up front.

Reactions: ski4

·
Registered
45 Posts
I want to make sure I'm seeing this right...is there a dedicated ground wire for the amp itself? It looks like it is grounded through the harness in the first diagram, but in the second picture it looks like there is a standalone ground wire.
Yea my bad, I messed up - there is a ground coming from the Amplifier. behind the glove box, where I mounted mine, its a perfect spot to put it actually, there's a metal bracket that is part of the frame of the car. I literally just taped the ground wire to that with a shitload of electric tape. Not the best way to do it haha but it works

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea my bad, I messed up - there is a ground coming from the Amplifier. behind the glove box, where I mounted mine, its a perfect spot to put it actually, there's a metal bracket that is part of the frame of the car. I literally just taped the ground wire to that with a shitload of electric tape. Not the best way to do it haha but it works
Ingenuity for the win!

·
Registered
787 Posts
With me being from the South, that fits my Redneck Technical Manifesto:

It's only temporary......Unless it works!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts