Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to posting on the WF, but I've pouring over all the info.:pullinghair: Let me start by saying I have a bit of mechanical aptitude, but when it comes to all of the parts and pieces discussed for lift, it gets a bit overwhelming. I've been coming here to get the scoop on any of the lift kits I've had my eye on. Every time I think I found a lift in my budget range, I see a post on how you need this piece or that piece. I will be wheeling, but not as much as I'd like. Mostly mud and a little rock; South Cakalaki ain't known for its rock crawling. Bluebelle is my DD until the payments are over and I get a 2Door

Now all of that is out of the way, I'm trying to stick around a 1K.
so far I'm looking at
1-AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension System

2-Rubicon Express RE7141P 2.5" Progressive Coil Standard Lift Kit with monotubes

3-Teraflex 1251000 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks

I was also looking at the rancho progressive spring kit with the 9k shocks but im not sure i'd be able to stay with in budget with all the other parts and pieces I'd need.

I'd love any input. I have yet to find an actual club around here that I can attach myself to for help with this kind of guidance.
:tomatoes:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Welcome!

Those are all solid kits that you should be able to install with a decent mechanical ability. Look up the 2" Rancho thread here for some good reading. The kits need more for some folks depending on environment or attention to details that are important to that buyer.

- Keep an eye out for sales the next few weeks as we enter into the holiday season
- Save some money for an alignment afterwards and to have them double check your work
- I found my local clubs through Google. Other places to search are, the subforum for SC and Facebook.

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
IMO you only lift to fit the tire size you need for the trails you do. Since you made no mention of larger tires I'd say to leave it alone and invest your 1k in recovery gear and skids.

That said the AEV, Teraflex or Rancho 2" are good lifts. I've run the 2.5" TF with the Ranco CA brackets on a Jeep and it drove great. About 1k

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, its been a while. Meeting with home builders and craziness at work has left me 0 time to play.

That being said, moving into the new year, I've set some priorities, and one has been to take my family camping and wheeling later in 2020 when its easier to take time away from work.
That being said, I started digging more into what is actually needed and why. I think I'm going to spend a bit extra and get the metalcloak 2.5in lift. Nor only does it seem to be popular around the forums, it also seems like a solid kit with everything I'll need.
As for tire size, I'm sticking around 33's until I have the funds to regear and add in at least one locker.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Well, its been a while. Meeting with home builders and craziness at work has left me 0 time to play.

That being said, moving into the new year, I've set some priorities, and one has been to take my family camping and wheeling later in 2020 when its easier to take time away from work.
That being said, I started digging more into what is actually needed and why. I think I'm going to spend a bit extra and get the metalcloak 2.5in lift. Nor only does it seem to be popular around the forums, it also seems like a solid kit with everything I'll need.
As for tire size, I'm sticking around 33's until I have the funds to regear and add in at least one locker.
Which kit are you looking at?

The Metalcloak lifts are excellent IMO and mostly complete. I have 2 jeeps with them. One JK on a 2.5 Rocksport gamechanger and a JKU on a 2.5" Overland.

I say mostly complete, because there are a few things that need to be addressed based on your jeep. The MC kits will net about 3.5-4" of lift on a basically stock jeep.

You will need to address driveshaft clearance (assuming you have a 2012+ JKU) which means spacers at a minimum. Due to the incredible amount of droop in the MC springs you will still destroy the rzeppa boot on the front driveshaft. Save for the eventual replacement.

If you are looking at a kit that doesn't have front and rear track bars you should add some. I don't recommend the MC units. Based on my experience I cannot get the jam nuts to stay tight.

Add the steering stabilizer relocation kit if you will be doing any kind of off-roading.

Get all 4 extended brake lines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True Dual Rate lift Rocksport edition
So what's in the kit?
Upper Front Duroflex Control Arms
Front & Rear True Dual Rate™ Coils
Front Durotrak™ Track Bar
Rear Track Bar Bracket
Front & Rear Adjustable Bump Stops
Extended Brake Lines
Front & Rear Sway Bar Links

from the metalcloak site i was configuring it on.

I'll probably only be wheeling it a few times a year with the fam and the rest is daily driver.

Thanks for all the tips, Im looking into those now. I believe Bluebelle's build will officially start in February.

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
The AEV lift is a nice lift. I would add a set of Rancho geometry brackets to it, but it is a nice lift.
A upgraded version of the TeraFlex lift is this
https://www.allensoffroad.com/Teraflex-1351002-RS9000XL-Caster-Correction-KJ-Combo
and it is another great option.
For a lower, more budget friendly lift there is the Rancho 2" progressive spring lift.
I like MetalCloak stuff, but for what you are talking about as far as how you use your Jeep it sounds like the MetalCloak stuff would be overkill. But it is nice stuff. I have some brackets from them.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
True Dual Rate lift Rocksport edition
So what's in the kit?
Upper Front Duroflex Control Arms
Front & Rear True Dual Rate™ Coils
Front Durotrak™ Track Bar
Rear Track Bar Bracket
Front & Rear Adjustable Bump Stops
Extended Brake Lines
Front & Rear Sway Bar Links

from the metalcloak site i was configuring it on.

I'll probably only be wheeling it a few times a year with the fam and the rest is daily driver.

Thanks for all the tips, Im looking into those now. I believe Bluebelle's build will officially start in February.

You'll need a method to create exhaust/driveshaft clearance and I highly recommend the steering stabilizer relocation kit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you happen to have a pic of yours sittin on 33s without a lift?
I'll try and get one posted this weekend. I really like the look, but I see all the filled space in the wheel well and I think she definitely needs those 2.5 inches.
I am experiencing some rub, so wheel spacers are going to be ordered with the kit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i talked myself out of the MC lift. Honestly, for what BlueBelle is going to do for us, its way overkill. After reading more and digging into some of the mechanics of it all, I'm going with the AEV 2.5 with their geo brackets. I drive a Tacoma for a work truck and the wife is usually in the Jeep. She says as mush like it drives now as possible or better, but taller. AEV seems to fit that in all aspects. Im looking forward to being one of the few people in my area that work on their own jeep when I install the lift.
I really appreciate all of the feedback and advice

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlueBelle and her new shoes. I can't wait to take her dancing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts