Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My JK has started throwing the infamous P0344 code.

I bought it used back in December. It is a 2012 JKUR with 27k miles. There is a 2” mopar lift with 35s. It came with 20x9 wheels but I recently swapped them for 17x9.

Now here’s what happened... I had just swapped the new wheels and tires on the Jeep. This was maybe my 3rd ride with them. I was driving down the highway and our roads are not very good - so I hit a couple of rough spots while doing 65mph. Next thing I know I hear a ding, followed by the CEL followed by the traction control light (car with squirly lines). As I try to move over into the right lane I notice the Jeep is in limp mode and I have no power... it was in failsafe mode. This never occurred with the old tires (coincidence maybe idk).

I finally got it off the road. I turned it off and back on again and the traction light went away but the CEL was still there. The traction light didn’t come on again until I was almost to my parents house (after hitting a bump). We hooked it up to the computer and pulled the P0344 code - camshaft positioning sensor “A” intermittent.

Ran to the auto parts store and got two new ones, replaced both the passenger and the driver and cleared the code. Took it around the block a few times hitting the same bump I did on the way there and nothing, thought it was good.

Well, as I drove off to go to my house (about 20 miles away) I decided to intentionally hit this rough part over the freeway to see if the same thing happened. Sure enough it did, only this time the Jeep would not clear the traction control light and stayed in limp mode. I managed to bypass it by going manual to get home.

From what I have searched, there’s tons of “potential” fixes but nothing solid... typically seems to be the pig tail harness at the sensor plug. So in troubleshooting, while the Jeep was running I specifically wiggled both driver and passenger CPS and couldn’t get the traction light to go off - CEL still is there though. I looked at the pigtails and couldn’t see notable evidence that the wires were chaffing, splitting, etc (and I’ve installed car audio stuff quite a few times so I’m pretty familiar with that).

I noticed my steering wheel was slightly off center so I fixed it by adjusting my drag link. I’ve also heard the wheel sensors could throw the traction light, so my next fix will probably looking at those.

Has anyone else been able to find a solution to this?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/...-code-2013-jkur-2119761-2.html?utm_source=amp

Check out that link, it seemed to be helpful. I've been chasing mine, but mine only seems to happen under load (3ish RPM) going up an incline. Although, it did happen once when I hit a bump in the road.

That seems to be one of the possible solutions for fixing it is the cam phasers. The two most common “solutions” I have found so far are either the pigtail wiring harness for the sensor needing to be replaced or oil galley bolts becoming loose. I’m really hoping mine isn’t that as this is pre-owned but...

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
A friend had the same and it ended up being a melted electrical plug and broken wire on the wiring harness to passenger side cam position sensor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend had the same and it ended up being a melted electrical plug and broken wire on the wiring harness to passenger side cam position sensor.

JTPhoto JK, Do you by chance know where on that harness it was melted? I ran my Jeep and physically went to both sensors and wiggled the wires all sound trying to trigger the code... nothing happened.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the link, just ordered 2 harnesses. Will report back once I get them installed (some work trips coming up that may slow me down).

Hopeful this is the issue and not the oil sensor I read about. I previously replaced the camshaft position sensors earlier this year, but honestly might do it again for cheap insurance and a fresh slate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link, just ordered 2 harnesses. Will report back once I get them installed (some work trips coming up that may slow me down).

Hopeful this is the issue and not the oil sensor I read about. I previously replaced the camshaft position sensors earlier this year, but honestly might do it again for cheap insurance and a fresh slate.

You’re welcome. I’ve been troubleshooting all week and of course, when I get time to actually pull the code the Jeep cranks up and the check engine light is gone... I’ve been tracing the wires at the connectors and wiggling them and have not been able to trip it.

Before I spent money on wheel sensors, I checked my wheel bearings just to be sure and they are solid and tight. So that’s another thing to check off...

Potential items still remaining:
Bad wheel sensor(s)
Bad crankshaft positioning sensor
Bad wiring/short/open in the pigtail or harness
Cam phasers
Loose oil galley bolt(s).

I’m hoping it isn’t any involving the head...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OmGoddard, I managed to pull the codes again to verify it was the same one. After replacing both camshaft sensors it started throwing both the P0344 code and now the P0369 code.

Not sure if that’s good or bad... good as in it might key me into where to look or bad as in it might be another problem...

From my understanding one, bank 1 is passenger side. So we cleared the codes, and while the engine was running I wiggled the wires and pushed up and down on the pigtail harness. There were 2 times I was able to make the engine sputter and trigger the code (or so I think).

We attempted to zip tie that connector straight and give it a run but the CEL and traction control light came on again. Tried replicating again but couldn’t get it to trip the code once cleared.

I put a meter on both driver and passenger. They all had 5v for their corresponding pins and a good ground. I’m going to have someone wiggle the harness while I maintain the meter on it to see if we can trigger the same symptom I managed to do by hand, if so, this might confirm it is something to do with the wiring harness to that connector.

I also checked the crankshaft position sensor and it had the correct 5v it needed, so don’t think it is that - but I might try replacing the sensor just to be sure...

I’m holding off on checking the oil galley bolts... kind of a last resort if all else fails. Hope you find something in your discovery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well just to update, after talking with some folks with 2012 JK’s, I decided to buy mopar camshaft positioning sensors as many have said the autozone ones tend to not work.

So I replaced the sensors again with the mopar ones and it cleared my P0369 code but still had P0344. Another thread said to check wheel sensors so replaced both front wheel sensors and still got the P0344 code. The code seemed to only appear when I started going over rough roads - I live on a dirt road so I triggered it every time.

We decided to try and reproduce manually like before. We had someone plugged into the OBD2 reader while I went to the passenger side ad wiggled the wiring harness to the camshaft positioning sensor - sure enough boom I get the engine to almost stall but no codes triggered. So I moved the harness just behind the pigtail connector the other way, and managed to trigger P0344 as well as P0365. We turned the Jeep off and wiggled it again and this time the Jeep hesitated to start. The starter was working but no engine crank over and after about 10 seconds it would start and run poor. The com port managed to stop working in this process... so I had to do the “key dance” in which the following codes displayed: P0017, P0018, P0019, P0340, & P0365. All while the starting kept doing that.

Let it be known that before we wiggled the harness, we had several test drives beforehand with no issues whatsoever only the P0344.

We verified on another vehicle that our scanner was working and it was, so we knew it was the Jeep acting up. We disconnected battery for about 10 minutes and reconnected. Hooked up to the reader and it starts working with no engine codes (assuming battery reset it), and the Jeep started up fine.

We disconnected the passenger camshaft sensor and attempted cranking again and we managed to get the ongoing starter and delayed engine crank like we did before wiggling the harness. This time only P0340 and P0365 were there. So whatever happened with wiggling the harness simulated a disconnected sensor and I’m guessing since the crankshaft sensor and cam sensors share the same wiring diagram, that’s why we got the 17, 18, and 19 codes.

I have the wiring harness from mopar, so that will be the next thing we look at for the passenger cam sensor. Fingers crossed we are getting closer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same Problem

I have a 2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock that I bought from salvage auction with the exact same issue. Dealer couldn't figure it out so the new owner had it Flood Totalled. I've changed both sensors and Bank 2 exhaust cam phaser (along with 5 squishy lifters). It got a little quieter on that side but did nothing from my codes.

I can make the codes (P0344 & P0369) trip almost anytime I want to once engine is warm by holding a moderate acceleration in the upper 2K-3K RPM range. Heavy acceleration won't throw the code.

Yesterday I got fed up, and took apart the plug going into the PCM. I soldered 5 wires just before they go into the PCM to pins 86, 87, 88, 62, & 63. These are for crankshaft position, both exhaust cam positions, 5v reference, and ground. I hooked these to an arduino and started capturing data. I can see steady signal on all three, but haven't tripped the code with it hooked up yet.

If it's a bad head and not sensor related, so be it, but I have to know what's causing the PCM to freak before I throw one or two thousand at new heads. The only thing I can come up with is combustion gas getting into the oil galleys causing the phasers to jump around? Both times I've had the valve cover off, the cam position sensor encoders were covered with what resembles head gasket material. Cleaned it off and it came right back.

Now that I've soldered the test wires on, I think I may try hooking the other end into the sensors to eliminate wiring harness from the list of possibilities.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rednechtech,

Just out of curiosity, have you managed to check the oil galley bolts since you had the valves off?

You sound like you’ve gone through a slew of more things than I have. I think, *think*, mine has to do with that pig tail on the passenger side but have no way of verifying other than playing with the harness. And like I said, I can trigger it by manually pushing on the wires for the pigtail or by hitting the rough spots on my road.

Hitting the road usually triggers P0344, playing with wires usually gives me P0344, P0365 and sometimes P0017-19.

It is so aggravating. The Jeep ran fine for the few trips I took in it... have owned it for not even a year and haven’t even been able to do off-roading or take it on errands because of this. Wish Chrysler would do something considering the amount of people who have this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I checked the bolts on both sides. They were all in place, but I probably could have taken them out with my fingers. I put a wrench on them and snugged them up, but didn't use a torque wrench cause they're hard to get a straight shot at.

Last night I logged data while throwing the codes multiple times. On both the good logs I saved, the crankshaft signal has gaps in it. It stays low for ~200 milliseconds while the cams are still pulsing. Even at idle speed (700 rpm) there should be a revolution every 90 ms. I tried wiggling the wires, but couldn't get it to throw that way. I have a crankshaft position sensor on the way. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully that works for you. I’ve ruled out the sensors in mine unfortunately. I have the wiring harness, just a matter of finding time to diagnose and install.

If the pigtail is having problems in the connector itself, which is what I think is happening, I should be able to just snip, solder, and install. If the problem exists further back in the harness, well now it becomes tedious.

In order to isolate the pigtail, my plan is to take like straw plastic to create an isolation barrier and shove in to the pigtail for each wire. Then drive or wiggle the harness and see if I can trigger it. Or, if it works long enough, drive it to the dealer and dump it LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No luck with the new crankshaft position sensor. I think my problem may be in the PCM. I called around today and it's about $800 to replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I forgot to mention, after seeing gaps in the crank position data I began looking at the tach and scanner rpms more closely. At idle, or while sitting still trying to hold at a steady 2K rpm I will get jumps of 20-50 rpms corresponding to the missing crank position data. I can turn ac on and off and make the crank data miss too. Sometimes at an idle the engine will just stumble but not quit, this also shows up on the screen with missing crank position data. Before I pull the trigger on a new PCM, I'm going to make one more effort to check all my grounds. I may also monitor the crank position power wire to see if it's loosing voltage when the crank position goes out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well we tried to get some isolation in the pigtail today and was unsuccessful, there looks to be rubber boots around the wires inside the connector which is good. But doesn’t allow us to test the connector...

We were cutting back the electrical tape holding the wires as far back as we could, trying to get around the transmission dipstick and tube - what a PITA. Upon doing that we felt the wires further back as we were cutting and noticed they felt brittle and damaged. So that is where we are going to look next...

Few questions before proceeding:
1) can the transmission dipstick tube be removed? If so, how?

2) has anyone spliced a new connector on? Or is there a video or tutorial explaining how to do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me too. I've not had time to familiarize myself with the forum. I've had the p0344 issue for almost two years now. I've had it in three different dealerships, 2 of which made matters worse.
I've had the timing chain replaced, 3 of 4 camshafts 🙄, the wiring harness and the oil pump replaced. It seemed fixed for almost two months before it threw me into limp mode again. I have a 2013 jeep unlimited rhd. I'm so sick of this ring around the rosy. I have used up all of my leave trying to get this issue fixed and to no avail. The last time it was at the dealership they assured me the galley bolts were fine. I'm at a loss. I can only conclude their lack of willingness to rebuild the entire engine is the root of the problem. Idk. Sorry for the long rant!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me too. I've not had time to familiarize myself with the forum. I've had the p0344 issue for almost two years now. I've had it in three different dealerships, 2 of which made matters worse.
I've had the timing chain replaced, 3 of 4 camshafts 🙄, the wiring harness and the oil pump replaced. It seemed fixed for almost two months before it threw me into limp mode again. I have a 2013 jeep unlimited rhd. I'm so sick of this ring around the rosy. I have used up all of my leave trying to get this issue fixed and to no avail. The last time it was at the dealership they assured me the galley bolts were fine. I'm at a loss. I can only conclude their lack of willingness to rebuild the entire engine is the root of the problem. Idk. Sorry for the long rant!

The RHD models had a fix an actual TSB posted for it... I believe the number was 18-053-15 https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/649/ma...nsor-intermittent-2012-2015-jeep-wrangler-rhd, did you try that?

The other thing is you said 3/4 camshafts, are you referring to the phasers? The only other things I can think of are the oil galley bolts and the wiring harness on passenger side... that’s what I’ve been able to gather in my research and endless forum hunting.

Going to be working on the wiring harness this weekend, so hopefully that yields positive results...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts