Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just noticed I missed my update yesterday.

I broke yet another drill. Darn harbor fright drills don't like drilling through 1/4" plate. I went out and got a real drill, a Dewalt, I like that brand. I used a lot of their air and power tools in the navy. Then I broke the drill bit I was using. My biggest drill bit for a 3/8" drill is 1/2", I need either a 9/16" or 5/8" hole since I suck at marking and drilling holes perfectly. I have both of those drill bits but it only fits a 1/2" drill. I already scratched up the drill I just bought so I don't think they will let me exchange it now.

Anyway, I finished the painting on the crossmember. I also modded my exhaust hanger 1/2" higher to clear it. The UFC low profile mount I got last year had me shorten the hangar when I installed it. Started measuring locations for the mounts on the axle. Also had to grind down some high points on the mounts to fit the axle squarely.

Does anyone know where to get measurements of center to center for the axle brackets? Well I really only need it for the coil buckets and shock mounts. I measured the coil buckets at 38" center to center on the frame, but found references to 39" on the axle from stu-offroad.com

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Was trying to reconnect my t-case shifter linkage and that was a real pain. I gave up before I finished. Feel like getting one of those wire shifters. Anyway, I reinstalled the trans mount and new crossmember.

I wanted to feel like I got something done yesterday so I pulled out the welder real fast to weld on a CB antenna mount and that skull I got from ballistic. The axle is still in primer but will be black either semi-gloss or flat and the skull will be silver. Going to paint the skid, control arms and steering silver.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I missed a few again.

Posted June 4th
I got the shifter linkage together but it's not shifting. I'm worried I messed something up when I installed the sye.

I got the bracket measurements and started tacking them on. After this pic I tacked on one LCA bracket before it got too dark.

Oh yea. I also split my finger open with the grinder yesterday. Went to switch the handle to the other side and slipped.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's really starting to shape up!! The UCA's arn't welded up yet as the angles will be figured when I get the frame mounts on and mock up the control arms. The UCA mount I got has this heavy 1/4" base plate that has holes it it to set the mounts in more exact position and I did tac that in place. I also lightly coated everything in primer as we did have scattered thunderstorms last night. I was busy all day today with things that kept me away from the house and tomorrow I have to mow the lawn again arg. So I will continue on tuesday.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think my welding is getting better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Practice makes perfect, :dance:

I usually turn off teh grinder to change the handle over, made your mistake once with a new 80grit flap disc on, :doh:

Love the progress reports.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yea, the finger is pretty much healed but can still see a sliver of scab.

This is the rear LCA mount on the frame. TJ frames are 3/16" box frame, that mount is 1/4". I'm able to weld all the way around it, and the mount has two big holes drilled for a plug weld to the frame too. I am using MIG so it is easier to make a clean looking weld. On the sides of the mount I am going to do a triple pass, The first bead is just to fill in the gap I had. Also I was right to put in a bolt to keep it from pulling apart. I put the bolt in finger tight and had to use a wrench to get it off.

I also got that other axle shaft out with a big slide hammer I rented at autozone. Then pulled the carrier. Damn is that thing heavy! The housing now feels feather light with all that out of it.

Now for a shameless picture of my 35 spline axle compared to the only thing I had around, a D30 shaft.

The gears and the carrier are looking good. The housing did have a little crud in it but I got of everything I could already. Also I knocked out the lower stud to replace it with a bolt and have it act as a drain plug so changing fluid is much easier. (These are before pictures)

I took everything but the housing inside and coated the housing in wd40 and wrapped it in a tarp to keep rust away. My next step is rolling it under and setting the height of the frame to the axle. Then getting angles for the upper arms and welding in those brackets. Then I can mock up the arm length and make them. That will be the end of the rear axle. Other than seeing if I lucked out on the length of the driveshaft I got.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I rolled the axle under the jeep today and got my measurements. Going to throw it in the 4-link calculator and find the optimum position for my UCA mount on the frame. Will be back later today with that.

Also I found a guy that wants to do a swap for my 33" ProComp Xterrains on black steel for his 35" KM2's on chromes. Don't worry I can't even use the chromes as my bolt pattern is different. I got some black steels with the axle that fit, though they are pretty beat up.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
TheDoc said:
Looking Good, where did you get the 4 link calculator from is it a web link?

Keep the updates rolling.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204893

Don't want to put a direct link to the file but here is where I found it. He also has a 3link with panhard bar calc. Don't have an update yet as plans changed and an opening for a motorcycle class opened up that I went to right after work, got back an hour ago. Stayed up cleaning off the tires for the trade right after the class tomorrow. Got to wake up a 5 for the riding portion for the next 2 days.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I actually don't think the chrome wheels look to bad next to my jeep. Anyway a heavy work load kept me from working on the jeep. I did prep my upper control arm mounts by welding them together with the right spacing for my control arm joints. Center one is for the front and is set at 0 degrees unlike the two for the rear triangulated link set at 22 degrees.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am second guessing my LCA frame position. I can't get much length out of the arms and because of it my anti-squat numbers are way high. Rear LCA arm length at 24", anti squat at 130%. I can cut down my trans mount to only use 2 bolt holes and move the mounts back another 6-8 inches. Though more work and time. I really only want to do this once.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm at the point where the next step is the upper control arm mount and I'm still unsure if I want to move the lower arms back and get more length out of them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The better anti-squat numbers were to much for me and I cut off the mounts cut down my tranny mount and tacked the LCA and UCA mounts up.

I cut down all my control arms, tack welded the threaded inserts in and attached all the joints. They look awesome. I didn't have gloss black spray paint so I couldn't paint the wheels yesterday but I will pick that up on the way home. Planning on painting 2 wheels today and getting the tires mounted on them tomorrow to have the rear of the jeep on it's own feet. Going to test fit the arms today then weld up everything solid and paint as much as I can.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Any more updates yet? I was looking at the rear end shots and wondering where the links went on the backside of the axle tube.

But that is the caliper bracket sitting back there. Doh.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Any more updates yet?
Well I went on a two week vacation and haven't updated this yet, so let me get this caught up.

7/8/2011 - I finished as much as I could but I was rained out on Friday and was getting ready to leave Saturday till I left.

Finished the welds on the axle. Finished the weld on one LCA, I was welding together the rest of the control arms in between welding the axle and frame to keep the heat down too. I finished one arm and almost another.

So I still got a bit of welding to do when I get back but I did paint 2 wheels and they look good and will work well enough. Though I did pick the two best ones to start with. The other 2 will take longer to fix and they have some dents in the outer rim.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
7/27/2011

Ok, so I wasn't able to get much done yesterday as I had hoped even with it been a nice day outside. I finished welding the passenger side mounts and started working on the driver side mounts. I definitely need to get a welding jacket as all the overhead welding is getting a little to painful without it. Once I finish that up today I will clean up all the welds and any surface rust I can see then prime them up. Will do the same to the axle. After all that metal is primed I will work on finishing up welding the bungs into the control arms. I may run out of daytime before I finish so the priming may have to wait till tomorrow, as I have to wait till they cool enough to paint them.

Also I have a tire in my back seat right now, waiting to be put on a newly painted wheel during my lunch break.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
7/28/2011

I ran out of welding wire on the home stretch. I only have one more control arm to weld up. Of course this happened 5 min before 9 leaving me no time to get more. I started with a fresh 1 pound roll 2 seconds into the day( I grabbed all my tools jumped under the jeep was all ready to get to work and had a second of spark and ran out of that roll and luckily had one left).

I got no painting done. I was welding for 3 hours and was on a roll. The control arm welds look real nice and solid. Some of the upside down work doesn't look to pretty but it will definitely hold well enough as it has a lot of weld keeping it on. Still didn't get that welding jacket but was able to keep new burns to a minimum.

Today will be 5 minutes of welding and all paint prep and painting. Probably wont get to assembling the axle as it will be wet. I also have to keep in mind that I haven't yet put on the shock bracket as I couldn't get a good mock up at it without the axle already in place but that will be an easy affair once the back is on its feet. I may even assemble the front axle and put on the wheels to give the jackstands a break. It won't be drivable but it will roll. Still need the rear brakes then to measure the driveshaft needed and see if the one I got will work.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
7/29/2011

Well finally finished the welding for the back. Primed all the exposed steel. Need to hang my control arms to get some paint on them still. Going to be picking up a 5th tire today 2 hours away so that is going to cut into my painting time but we'll see how much I can do today. The rear will be in this weekend as all I have to do is finish the painting and reassemble the axle., I got the tires to stand it on its own feet. I still need to plumb the air line for the locker though. Find out what I'm doing for parking brakes and buy new brakes.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts