Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
i started small and got a couple of the yeti tumblers..

sorry to say not impressed. especially with hot drinks..
it doesnt keep the drink any hotter than any other insulated cup..
it is well made of stainless steel.
but made in china..

as for cold drinks it does ok there .. but again i have other insulated cups that work pretty much just as well.

have been tempted to put them side by side with a thermometer to check if it keeps the liquid colder longer or hot longer...

Sorry to say it is not worth the 30 dollars apiece that they cost..

coolers are super expensive.. i can by a hell of a lot of ice for that price.. and get American Made coolers too..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wanna see your Yetis in your jeep! How it's mounted, where you put it. All that good stuff.

Just ordered a Tundra 65 and I plan on putting it on top of my Tuffy security deck and strapping it down to it during transport. (Probably not buying the $50 YETI tie down mounts, but I'm already in $400 whats another $50?) Pretty sure I'm going to put some supports under the Tuffy deck to help distribute the weight of the cooler.

As for the tumblers.. they can only keep something cold for so long if you continuously drink and refill all day. This would maybe get you 3 hours of ice. Now if you make a cold drink in the AM, forget about it in your rig and return 8-10 hours later it will still be full of ice and drink. Pretty much goes with their slogan "keep your drinks as cold as science allows".

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have the Tundra 65 fits perfectly in JKU rear passenger side and tie it down with the two tie down points in JKU .. The key is to pre-chill and once loaded it's too heavy to move ... Keeps ice 5 days EZ ... You get a Yeti Cuz you are usually out in middle of nowhere, no ice to buy ...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not really a Jeep issue but we love our Yetis. My son and I went in the field at about 8:00 one morning to move round bales. We left our Yetis in the truck with the windows down and returned about 9:00 that night. It was in the high 90's during the day. We enjoyed the ice cold water on the 110 mile return trip home that night. They still had ice.

I think someone on Amazon wrote a comparison with an off brand that looks very much like the Yeti. He ran temperature tests on hot and cold. The results were almost identical. My son bought me a Coleman Steel ice chest. We used it to bring buffalo meat from Denver to Oklahoma City last July. I put 20 pounds of ice over the meat and had to break the ice 26 hours later to remove the meat. Can't afford the Yeti.

We do use the Yetis while traveling in the Jeep. They ride nicely in the cup holders.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I have the Yeti Roadie 20 that mounts on top of my Tuffy enclosure. I use a cable to secure the cooler and a tie down strap to keep it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
The yeti tumblers are the shit. Bought one for the wife on valentine's day, she filled it with ice and water before dinner (sometime before 5) the next morning around 830 when I wake up it still had ice in it. It was just sitting on the counter the whole time. I was surprised since it has the opening to drink out of open.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
We have a tundra 45 and a roadie 20. Tundra holds ice way longer. Like them both though.

Roadie at the beach
Jeep-beach5.jpg

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I strap a Yeti45 in the back of the Jeep using the rear seat brackets with the seat out. Then a drain tube to the seat bracket well to keep it drained. Fantastic coolers and I have a 20 also but bought them as seconds for $100 each. Wish I could have bought more, I can't find the defects and they don't make them here anymore.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I know on two occasions my Yeti 50 has kept ice for 8 day in Colorado and 7 when I did the Rubicon trail.
like it so much I got the plate to prove it :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
ordering a tundra 35 in blue for my ladies birthday this week...can't wait to test it out and use it on our outdoor adventures...especially when it hits summer time!

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
ordering a tundra 35 in blue for my ladies birthday this week...can't wait to test it out and use it on our outdoor adventures...especially when it hits summer time!
That's an awesome gift. My wife loves her yeti. Make sure that you precool the cooler with a some ice to lower the internal temp before you fill it up with food and drinks. If the cooler is at room temp and you just use it you without precooling you will not get as good results, at least this is the case with the yeti65.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My Sons and my nephews pitched in last year and bought me a Yeti 50 for fathers day last year. It is awesome for our long road trips and best of all it doesn't sweat and get my back seat wet like all my other coolers have.

·
Registered
68 Posts
lots of talk about these Rtic coolers on the fishing and boating forums. Bottom line they are a direct rip off of Yeti. So be it. the big problem is the 6 month + wait for the cooler. lots of guys preordered a cooler and are now pissed off because of the endless wait.
I can't wait for anything and hate waiting for parts so ya it shows it not shipping till June is a bit of a wait.

·
Registered
175 Posts
just less profit made on them and they are Made In China of course

so why buy Chinese made stuff for double the price since they are almost exactly the same
Yup, this is straight off yeti.com

WHERE ARE YOUR COOLERS MANUFACTURED?

Our Tundra coolers are manufactured in the USA at facilities located in Iowa and Wisconsin as well as at a facility located in the Philippines. Our Hopper coolers are manufactured in China. Want a YETI made in the USA? Call us at*(512) 394-9384*and we’ll make it happen

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
This is a Pelican 65 qt marine cooler. Fits like a glove, side to side in the back of a '15 JKU. I don't think it would fit the prior years with the side mounted subwoofer.

No gripes about this. It's already a veteran of several expeditions. Last fall I ran 10 days and still had original ice, around Death Valley, Southern Nevada and eastern Sierras.

Picture from camping up near Truckee, California, over Memorial Day weekend.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts