Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been reading on these very helpful forums for a while now and finally decided to join. I have a 1989 YJ with the very weak 2.5 and have been considering doing the Cherokee 4.0 and AW4 conversion for a while now. I know it has been done hundreds of times and this subject has been discussed to death, but it seems like every write up I read is completely different. I was hoping some of you experienced with this conversion could offer some pointers, like what years would be the best to look for and any unexpected hiccups that could happen along the way. Also, the wiring. I've seen people say the easiest thing to do is splice the two extra injectors into the YJ harness, but would this work with an 89 since it doesn't really have a full fledged computer? I figure probably the best thing to do would be to get the wiring and computer from a 4.0 YJ and graft the Cherokee harness into the YJ harness since I would want to use the AW4 trans as well and the wiring would already be integrated.

And before someone says sell it and just get one with a 4.0, most of the Jeeps you see for sale around here are ragged and rusted all to crap, while rust and body wise, my Jeep is in pretty good shape. Then they want WAY too much for them. They seem to think lifting it six feet in the air suddenly makes it worth $10,000, regardless of the rust holes and everything else. Plus 4.0 YJs are quite simply kind of hard to find around my neck of the woods, while Cherokees are a dime a dozen. I've read a lot of write ups about different ways people have done this, but I wanted to try to put together as close to a definitive guide as I can before I decide if I really want to give it a go. I'd like to have everything figured out beforehand so if I do decide to do it I could hopefully have it done in a couple of weeks or so. I've successfully transplanted an LT1/700R4 into my 1977 Trans Am, so this can't really be that much different. Any tips and help you guys care to offer would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
Very doable but besides XJ 4.0 with PCM you need the TCM that matches your AW-4 best ones are 98-2001 and harness for the 4.0 with PCM

Stick with 91-2001 XJ PCM and engine

If you get 98 or newer PCM make sure it does not have SKIM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Put an lt1 and 700r4 in the yj and screw the 4.0l swap. Same amount of work involved but you have experience with the chevy already....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.