Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference?
I ask because i am currently looking for a jeep with a 4.0 engine to swap into my TJ.
I will be using basically the hole drive train and computer out of the donor Jeep so just wondering if there was a difference in anyway with the 2 models.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
OBDI vs OBDII and many differences in the transmission and t-case. and you can't install an older engine into a newer vehicle. you can only install a newer engine into an older vehicle...at least legally anyway...for emissions.

simple story: stick with the same model year with the same tranny.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
OBDI vs OBDII and many differences in the transmission and t-case. and you can't install an older engine into a newer vehicle. you can only install a newer engine into an older vehicle...at least legally anyway...for emissions.

simple story: stick with the same model year with the same tranny.
I never heard that you can't swap in an older engine... A friend of mine swap in a 86' ford bronco engine into a 99' dodge ram

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It's true. States that do emissions testing will not allow you to swap in an engine older than the model year of your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The only state I know of that has those tests is CA. I know emissions isn't necessarily an indicator for that law. But yes some states only allow newer engine swaps.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
According to the EPA website there are currently 30 or so States that perform some sort of testing and inspection on vehicles within their state.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Illinois has em. Damn scam if you ask me.

boosts the business of auto parts/repairs/mechanics if nothing else
Same here in MD. The last time I had mine done I didn't notice them hooking anything up to my Jeep and after I paid the charge, I was handed a piece of paper with all zeros on it. Zeros on my 10 year old Jeep? I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What would be horrible if it ever happens would be CARB taking over for the EPA as far as vehicle testing and inspections go. They have some pretty radical laws for air quality out there. No offense to anyone from California.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts