Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How needed is this tube for the 4.2 engines? My yj came without it and i never bothered to put one on. Would leaving it off be beneficial to having my air intake “higher” when off roading or does the added air flow from the grill help engine performance? Its a pain to remove and put back on when working on the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Man, it has been a long time since my engine bay looked like that. :) That hose will allow cooler, denser air to get into the engine which is certainly better than hot under hood air. Are you going to notice a difference in efficiency or power? Probably not.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'd be more concerned with the broken manifold bolt

Edit nevermind that's not your jeep is it? Lol

·
Commercial Member
2,230 Posts
I had kept mine on the 4.2 while I still had that drivetrain. I don't think it operates effectively as any type of CAI, have ran it without for a while when I was dialing in the carb after rebuild. Might keep some debris and/or whatnot out of the breather...maybe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What im hearing is dont worry about it. Also no not my engine

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
I try to keep everything at least looking stock. I bought a new one (it was missing when I bought the Jeep) just so it looked like it original.
Does it help with CIA or any performance? Well, the air coming in the tube might be a bit cooler than the underhood air but I doubt that it provides any measurable benefit other than making me feel good.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts