Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a late model YJ and I found a fairly OK 95 for sale locally. It's a 2.5 with 140k on it. Some body work was done so the paint doesn't match in one or two spots, but I"m not looking for any sort of show vehicle, just one to drive. Frame has been repaired in spots and it looks pretty well done. Looks like a valve cover gasket is needed, but it fired right up and sounded ok. Fluids looked good and interior was clean.

The issues I'm curious about is there was a pretty nice little pool of water on the passenger side floor. Is there a known spot for these to leak on that side? It looks like a small drain hole was drilled into the floor to deal with it, it was just in the wrong spot :).

The other issue is the shifter felt pretty sloppy, not tight when going through the gears at all. I am assuming it's the shifter bushing. Vids online make it look fairly simple, just curious if it's as easy (relatively) as it looks.

There was a slight crunch going into reverse the one time I shifted, but it may have been me not being used the clutch. I'd have to drive it again to see if it shifts ok.

If the price is right, I may make a move. Any other advise on what to look for would be appreciated.:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Leak is probably due to the cowl seal or in some occasions the cowl body seam right before it

The crunch you heard is due to reverse not being synchronized, pump the clutch or drive forward slightly to eliminate this problem.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is it water or coolant on the passenger floor board? And if their way of fixing a leak was to drill a hole so it would drain, you know they probably half assed other maintenance as well.
If you buy it plan on wrenching on it off and on (more on) for the next year or so as problems pop up and fixing things that weren't fixed right to begin with..
Unless it's damn near free, I would pass..
That's my 2 cents...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My price range to purchase is going to be tough to find a 4.0 in ok shape (3k range). If the price is right on this one, I would consider it. I didn't talk numbers yet although I'm sure he will be over 2k to start. It was in overall ok shape. I'm ok with some work, as long as I can drive it.

It wasn't coolant on the floor, it was just water. I saw a video after posting this on the possible problem, and it lines up with what you guys said and what I saw.

I have 2 more to look at before I start making the call. If any of you see a 4.0 for 3k let me know. I'm doubtful but I'll keep an eye out.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
If it’s cheap enough and you are just looking for something to get your feet wet with I don’t see an issue, but if you plan on sinking money into with modifications or restoration look for something with a cleaner slate, these Jeeps suck up money like nobody's business, before you know it you have several thousand invested.

Based on the description I personally would pass

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just looking for one to drive around. Maybe take on the beach when I head down to de beaches.

And yeah rust is a pretty common theme out this way sadly.

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
Welcome to the Forum kibbis,

Body rust is bad enough. A rusted frame can quickly double the cost of your Jeep. Look in the front and especially the rear where the shackles mount. Look at both gas tank X-members. Look at the frame where the skid plate mounts and on the left front frame rail where the steering box mounts.
For the body, pull back the front floor mats on both sides & check the floor.
Other posters might suggest other places to look for severe rust.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: gat and bp1

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If it’s cheap enough and you are just looking for something to get your feet wet with I don’t see an issue, but if you plan on sinking money into with modifications or restoration look for something with a cleaner slate, these Jeeps suck up money like nobody's business, before you know it you have several thousand invested.

Based on the description I personally would pass
He DID say there was water on the floor....

OP.... a jeep is one of those things in life where a cheap one will cost you far more and give you far less than saving up and increasing your budget....

Reccommend saving and finding a rust free jeep

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was chasing a water problem on my 95 for awhile before I finally figured out where it was coming from. The seam sealer on the front door jamb had cracked. It lets water into a channel between two panels that puts it in the passenger footwell. I used some clear silicone to seal it, but need to dig out the old seam sealer and do it the right way at some point. Maybe after the 50 other things that need done. Just changed the oil on my 95 2.5 Rio Grande. Took the hard top off last weekend so ready for the cool spring nights and summer. Maybe I'll take care of the seam sealer next year.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found one today near by. 99 2.5anual. interior is in good shape. No rust. Needs a throw out bearing but he will replace that first. No ac but I'm not really too worried about that. I'm gonna take it for a spin when the bearing is fixed. Much more promising than the 95

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
Took me about 4 years of mindless drifting and 1 year of actual looking at Jeeps online before I bought mine. I paid way to much for it, and have put more into it in 7 months but I like it.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Took me about 4 years of mindless drifting and 1 year of actual looking at Jeeps online before I bought mine. I paid way to much for it, and have put more into it in 7 months but I like it.
Very similar situation for me. Just wanted another convertible vehicle in the home shop to play around with in warm weather. So far this has been fun mainly because of all the readily available parts that are cheap relative to other cars I have messed around with.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts