Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year did they start mounting the antenna on top of the hood vs the side of the fender panel on the YJs? ...and what was the logic for the change if anyone knows?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
got a pic? as far as I know the antenna has never been mounted on the hood. maybe a previous owner did it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what I'm asking about. Not on the actual hood, but mounted on the top surface vs where I see a lot of YJs with the antenna further down the side panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Thats not factory

·
Registered
958 Posts
It looks great though.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
That surface is called the cowl. And it isn't a factory antenna. Definitely an after market product. All YJ antenna's in stock form, were mounted down on the side of the body.

If that antenna has a spring on the bottom of it, be careful of catching it on the wrong branch in the woods, when it releases it will most likely take out the windshield. I had a CB antenna on my CJ mounted in almost the same location, thought I was being smart by putting a spring on the bottom so it would flex instead of snapping the antenna. Yep, smart...smashed the windshield when it caught on a branch as I was backing up.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That surface is called the cowl. And it isn't a factory antenna. Definitely an after market product. All YJ antenna's in stock form, were mounted down on the side of the body.

If that antenna has a spring on the bottom of it, be careful of catching it on the wrong branch in the woods, when it releases it will most likely take out the windshield. I had a CB antenna on my CJ mounted in almost the same location, thought I was being smart by putting a spring on the bottom so it would flex instead of snapping the antenna. Yep, smart...smashed the windshield when it caught on a branch as I was backing up.
Lol. That sucks man. Made me laugh outloud. Totally something I'd do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased my YJ with this antenna mounted as is. I figured maybe it was stock since I've seen pics of other YJs with the antenna in the same location. I knew the antenna was aftermarket. I figured the PO applied the antenna with the spring to flex with the windshield down. However, based on feedback I'll be replacing the antenna, but not the mounting location, as I don't want to deal with the hole in the cowl at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts