Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just need a quick fix on my 2000 tj until I have the time to build up some dana 44's. What is the gear ratio in a stock rear dana 35 axle that came out of a 91 yj? Also would it bolt right into the tj?

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
no, it would not bolt right into a TJ. there would be lots of fab work to get the D35 from a yj into a TJ.
also, i believe there are 3 or 4 different ratios that were available in the YJ. 4.10, 3.73, 3.07, and maybe 3.55. which one it had depends on what engine, transmission, and what year the jeep is.

your best bet is to find a tj with matching gears and go for that.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
why do you need a quick fix? gears? axle shaft? what went out? the gearing could be the same, look at the data plate. im pretty sure the spline is the same if its an axle shaft you need.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hey OP I sent you an IM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why do you need a quick fix? gears? axle shaft? what went out? the gearing could be the same, look at the data plate. im pretty sure the spline is the same if its an axle shaft you need.
All the inside of my diff ripped to shreds pretty much and really was looking to upgrade to a dana 44 but cant seem to find any but that xj I just posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also new brackets or no? It needs to be like legos where all the parts fit on everything. I guess it's keep on looking.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
ehh might not work, ive heard it can but never done it, they're the same width though.. coil buckets might not be the right size, dunno for sure

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The only factory direct axle swap for a tj is from another tj! I have a mj Dana 44 in my tj and have no regrets with welding on a $200.00 bracket kit that was way heavier duty then the factory mounts. If you can't weld try taking it to a local fab shop and have them do it. It would still be cheaper then buying a d44 out of a tj. Look at your local you pull it type yard for axles, I payed $85.00 for my complete axle.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
GoodvibesTj00 said:
And also would the "No pinion yoke" effect anything?
You would need to use the yoke off your d35 and torque it using a new pinion nut and a new seal while you are at it. The price he wanted was high for what it was. I would give him half that, but that would be it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
GoodvibesTj00 said:
Been trying to find one. Would I have to get the stuff rda mentioned above for the 8.8 or just the brackets?
You would need a 1310 companion flange and have to modify your rear drive shaft if not need a sye and dc drive shaft. It also hangs much lower then a d44.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts