Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm trying to put a few pics up here of my yj build if anyone is interested. i won't be able to finish as fast as cherokee did his though. disassemble is free, re assemble costs big bux.

i'm having a really hard time getting pictures to work, i hope this works.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright it worked

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe not, i'll try again

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i like the yj what are your plans for it????

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, this one had a bad 258, and a beautiful body, hard to find here in midwest, frame is even nice, no rust. obviously going bolt by bolt, gonna protect against rust as best as possible. i sold my first wrangler when family started, now this one i'm gonna keep forever, and my kids can enjoy it with me. i plan on a stroker motor 4.2 crank and rods in 4.0. i'll do soa minimum, custom built 2" springs prob. 35's i think, gotta make sure it will fit in garage. i'd like coils but not sure about cost. herculiner interior, all black interior, and i got a pretty sweet idea for my paint job.
too bad i can't get it done as fast as i want to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
thanks guys, this one had a bad 258, and a beautiful body, hard to find here in midwest, frame is even nice, no rust. obviously going bolt by bolt, gonna protect against rust as best as possible. i sold my first wrangler when family started, now this one i'm gonna keep forever, and my kids can enjoy it with me. i plan on a stroker motor 4.2 crank and rods in 4.0. i'll do soa minimum, custom built 2" springs prob. 35's i think, gotta make sure it will fit in garage. i'd like coils but not sure about cost. herculiner interior, all black interior, and i got a pretty sweet idea for my paint job.
too bad i can't get it done as fast as i want to.
Do you already have your 4.2 crank and rods? My old engine is siiting in the garage.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, but ya i do, i picked up a block w/ crank and rods w/ about 2k miles on them, guy put this motor in and a year later swapped it out. appreciate the offer. got any diesel engines layin around:D, what about mercedes straight six diesels? too heavy?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's some progress, i'm really trying different ways to post pics

hey, i'm getting the hang of it

had to cut windshield hinge

how i found it not bad for 1987 unmolested

sorry, i'm just glad i finally figured out the right way to do this.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice keep us posted :D
thanks, i will. i haven't heard from revesdiesel, i wanna know what he, or anyone thinks about old mercedes I6 diesels, too heavy? i'm building the stroker first, but the other jeep in my posession might get a diesel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
thanks, but ya i do, i picked up a block w/ crank and rods w/ about 2k miles on them, guy put this motor in and a year later swapped it out. appreciate the offer. got any diesel engines layin around:D, what about mercedes straight six diesels? too heavy?
I built my wifes parents 2 Mercedes wvo cars. One has a 4 banger and the other a five. they are both under powered.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Great thread to start. These old YJ's are getting to be cheap enough that they are becoming the new CJ. :D People seem to be more interested in restoring CJ's now and using YJ's to build into their trail rigs.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great thread to start. These old YJ's are getting to be cheap enough that they are becoming the new CJ. :D People seem to be more interested in restoring CJ's now and using YJ's to build into their trail rigs.
ya, i agree. i love the yj cuz the price has gone down, and it already has a lot of modern convenience built in, or just about, most importantly fuel injection. i'd love to own a cj, but its impossible to find one worth building in the midwest, it was hard enough finding a yj.

hey diesel, i thought mercedes had 6 cyl. diesels also? am i wrong on that?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i want some opinions on this, i was thinking about the stroker i started building (not very far in) i might change my mind and maybe just go 4.0 out of newer tj w/ direct ignition and all, here's why. its gonna take a few years to get this all done, sorry, i don't have enough money to do it as quick as i want. i wanna drive this around town anytime i want, and obviously its gonna be a great wheeler, BUT, that stroker has to run on premo fuel from everything i've read. in a few years that is gonna be even more expensive. has anyone heard of a way to build it without runnin premium fuel,i haven't. i don't wanna build this baby up so nice, and not be able to put gas in it if premium ends up at like 5 bux / gal. right now its just under $4 here anyway. i dunno, what do you guys think??

·
Registered
231 Posts
ya, i agree. i love the yj cuz the price has gone down, and it already has a lot of modern convenience built in, or just about, most importantly fuel injection. i'd love to own a cj, but its impossible to find one worth building in the midwest, it was hard enough finding a yj.

hey diesel, i thought Mercedes had 6 cyl. diesels also? am i wrong on that?
Here is some info on the 6 cylinder. Not sure about weight but I am sure in a passenger car they are not very heavy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM603. In my opinion your better going with something more common. Mercedes are hard to get parts for and they are EXPENSIVE. How much do you want your engine to weigh.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the info, i don't have a clue about weight. but i didn't think of the cost, the benz's we see here always cost a lot to fix. i think i'll stick w/ the stroker, i'm spending this much money already, whats some more gas money right. i'll just go pick some off my money tree out back

·
Registered
270 Posts
:D
thanks for the info, i don't have a clue about weight. but i didn't think of the cost, the benz's we see here always cost a lot to fix. i think i'll stick w/ the stroker, i'm spending this much money already, whats some more gas money right. i'll just go pick some off my money tree out back
send some my way!!:D

1 - 20 of 131 Posts