Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to look for a Wrangler - not sure what I want a yj, tj, - I was thinking about keep my Grand Cherokee and getting an older Wrangler or getting rid of it and buying something a few years old. Anyway, when I'm looking at yj's - what should I stay away from, any years better than others. I know the tj's but nothing about the yj's except they're older. Please forgive the newb. thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
95 YJ would be the best find, it's the last year.

After 87 (someone please correct if wrong) YJ's got Fuel Injection which is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The biggest concern, for your area, would be rust. I would not go too old, due to that fact alone. As far as the fuel injection goes, it was when they went from the 4.2L engine, to the 4.0L engine. I believe that happened around the "90" year model. If you can find one, in good condition, you know, garage kept, through the winter months, then jump on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Another question - are the cj's more pricey? I've been browsing Ebay - some of the older Wranglers are $$$$$ - made of gold?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Most of them, are considered antiques now, so to find one in great shape, someone has spent a lot of money, on restoring it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
95 YJ would be the best find, it's the last year.

After 87 (someone please correct if wrong) YJ's got Fuel Injection which is a good thing.
It must have been an option as i have a 89 Wrangler 4.0 w/carb..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks. Another question - are the cj's more pricey? I've been browsing Ebay - some of the older Wranglers are $$$$$ - made of gold?
i visit the Chicago area once in awhile..there is a weekly magazine that covers the midwest called something like "cars,boats and cycle..it has used jeeps in it.you can purchase it at some gas stations..hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What happened to either a JK or a TJ? :) I take it you have trouble making up your mind. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd sure like to see that....it would have to be the only one. They never put a carb on a 4.0.
Well i know i have a 89 it's the original motor and for sure it has a carb..for some reason i thought it was 4.0 !!!!!!!!! if your telling me it is a 4.2 that's fine with me...right now i am a few states away from it when i get home i will check on the 4.2 ..i always thought it was a 4.0....what years had 4.0 and when did the 4.2 come out ? thanks for all your advice i'm learning...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd sure like to see that....it would have to be the only one. They never put a carb on a 4.0.
Well i know i have a 89 it's the original motor and for sure it has a carb..for some reason i thought it was 4.0 !!!!!!!!! if your telling me it is a 4.2 that's fine with me...right now i am a few states away from it when i get home i will check on the 4.2 ..i always thought it was a 4.0....what years had 4.0 and when did the 4.2 come out ? thanks for all your advice i'm learning...

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
According to kbb.com, '91 was the first year for the 4.0. Good thing you learned this Joes...wouldn't want you ordering the wrong parts. You should have another look when you gat back to it and just make sure. You never know what someone before you has done.

·
Registered
99 Posts
According to kbb.com, '91 was the first year for the 4.0. Good thing you learned this Joes...wouldn't want you ordering the wrong parts. You should have another look when you gat back to it and just make sure. You never know what someone before you has done.
i believe the confusion on my part was when my neighbor who has a 91 or 92 was telling me about his JEEP.i assumed mine was 4.0.....it was my fault for not checking..i appreciate the info.you have provided ..because of people like YOU i learn something everyday while getting on the computer.thank u again and have a great day...sincerly an owner of an 89 "4.2".:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts