Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Dana 44 front and ford 9" rear geared at 5.38 with 38" tires for my yj. I currently have about 6 inches of lift with after market fenders so I can fit the 38s easily but I was wondering all I will need to do the swap? I currently have a 8.8 in the rear so I know what goes into swapping the rear but what about the front? Will my Dana 30 steering linkage work for a Dana 44? Also I'm looking for chromoly shafts for my 44 but I'm not sure what my axle came off of so I am having trouble finding out which one to buy from alloy USA and will need some help identifying it. I am planning on keeping it spring under axle as to not complicate the swap too much. The Dana 44 comes with high steer brackets is it better to use those or the normal spot for my steering with spring under?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The axle has inscriptions 44-9f on one side and C38561 on the other. The WMS to WMS is 66.5"

I think the 44-9F means it came from a 79 f250.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I not sure how you got to the conclusion that it's an 79 f250 axle. (Don't mean that in a dick way). Just don't know how you got that

Many if not all f150s came with the 44/9" combo. I would be surprised if it was not from an F150. Look at the axle tag on the 9" and it will tell you where it came from

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well, the axles came out of a 70's F150 or 78-79 bronco, no doubt about that. F250s were 69" wide with the 44/60 or 60/60 combos. The real question (which could be a disaster), is what kind of radius arm wedges the front axle has. Are they welded on and removable, or cast into the tube? If welded on, cut them off and weld on perches. If cast into the tube, I think you're screwed unless you retube it or convert to the Ford radius arm setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts