Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

New Jeep-Head here :wavey:. I have a 1987 YJ that I'm absolutely in love with but I've come across my first problem.

The other day a buddy of mine took my Jeep out and it ran out of gas and ever since then when I come to a stop light it dies. I can start it back up and it runs fine on the highway but dies when I slow down below 15 mph. A friend of mine was following me home last night and said he could smell gas.

Thoughts? Ideas about what's going on?

I'm new to the whole working on cars thing but I want to try an do all mechanic work on my Jeep myself so any lamens terms would help out greatly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you smell gas, you have a leak somewhere. It makes sense that its dying at lower speeds bc the leak keeps the fuel flow rate down, it's probably good enough at higher speeds but at lower speeds you probably have just enough leakage to stall the engine. Check all the lines and especially at the fuel filter, I always have problems with the filter lines coming loose.

The filter and main fuel line run along the top of the left frame rail. The filter is just aft of the trans skid plate, but before the rear axle. Have someone step on the gas while your down there peaking around.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It could also be battery terminals, and run a cleaner through the system

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,
This has been happening to my 94' YJ as well. I have a 4.0L standard. When i come to a complete stop in 2nd or 1st gear. With the clutch complete pressed down. It has cut of. I recently just used a fuel cleaner incase the filter and over component in the line were dirty. Am I looking at the same problem?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Also, if you suspect an electrical issue, you can disconnect the battery terminal while the engine is running to check the alternator, it's possible that it's not putting the sufficient current out to run the ignition system. The alternator will provide the necessary spark to maintain the engine firing sequence, whether the battery is connected or not. If you take off the battery terminal and the Jeep dies, remove the alternator and have it tested, Advanced Auto or Autozone can test it for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I'll check out all of your suggestions today

1 - 6 of 6 Posts