Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what you all suggest is a fair price or going rate for a pair of clean, complete, fully functioning CJ/YJ doors?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im in northern Arizona. Yes, OE Jeep metal doors,originally from what year, CJ or YJ, Im not sure. Well, condition is always subject to ones opinion. Originally black, but were painted red to match the YJ they came on. Hinges have been moved to adjust, so the paint right at them shows a bit. Paint is nice but has typical light scratches and a couple little door dings. IIRC one door inside has a small crack running from where the wind wing and window channel are, 1" or so. Good glass,regulators, wind wings, door panels are very nice, no keys for the locks however. One or both window handle knobs are pretty loose. Not new or show quality but good IMO.

·
Los Angeles
1,727 Posts
I would pay more the harder they are to find. Here in Southern California, you will pay more in these months and $200 cheaper by March-April. I see them listed for 800-1000 right now, but I doubt they get that much.
I would pay $600 if I needed them.

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
I paid $200.00 for my doors, but they were really rough. I'm a retired body man, so I was able to recondition them for the cost of my labor.
Having them painted would have cost the same for real nice doors or reconditioned doors.

Around Denver, I see them for $600.00 to $800.00 for private sales. One salvage yard that specializes in Jeeps sells "reconditioned" full doors for $1500.00. They're nuts!
You might find a bargain if you're patient and have cash.

I'm assuming you want to have the doors painted to match your Jeep. If you don't, you can skip the following paragraph.
Since the doors that you're considering buying have been repainted once and have door dings. you'll want to totally disassemble them and have them media blasted before taking them to be painted.
Even before that, fit the doors to the tub. As you state, the hinges show where they had been adjusted prior. You'll want the doors to fit before having them painted.
Get your paint estimate including repairing the crack and door dings before having them media blasted. You might be surprised how much it'll cost to have the doors repaired and painted, even with you doing the tear down and re-assembly.

You can have the locks re-keyed to the tailgate key (maybe even the ignition key) while the doors are at the media blaster or the paint shop.
Quadratec and Morris 4X4 sell door gaskets and window channels. Your window channels might be OK, but you'll need new door surround gaskets.
You can tighten the window cranks as you reassemble the doors.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just for reference I just paid $600 for a nice pair of full doors. No cracks or repairs needed but like Luckymac stated. I’ll still need to fully disassemble, strip, repaint, and at the minimum replace window channel felt. Since I’ve changed my interior color, I’ll buy new door panels, window cranks, and exterior pull latches. So that’s another $150 on top of paint and materials. I’ll do my own painting. So when all said and done I figure I’ll be into them for a $1k

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I paid $200.00 for my doors, but they were really rough. I'm a retired body man, so I was able to recondition them for the cost of my labor.
Having them painted would have cost the same for real nice doors or reconditioned doors.

Around Denver, I see them for $600.00 to $800.00 for private sales. One salvage yard that specializes in Jeeps sells "reconditioned" full doors for $1500.00. They're nuts!
You might find a bargain if you're patient and have cash.

I'm assuming you want to have the doors painted to match your Jeep. If you don't, you can skip the following paragraph.
Since the doors that you're considering buying have been repainted once and have door dings. you'll want to totally disassemble them and have them media blasted before taking them to be painted.
Even before that, fit the doors to the tub. As you state, the hinges show where they had been adjusted prior. You'll want the doors to fit before having them painted.
Get your paint estimate including repairing the crack and door dings before having them media blasted. You might be surprised how much it'll cost to have the doors repaired and painted, even with you doing the tear down and re-assembly.

You can have the locks re-keyed to the tailgate key (maybe even the ignition key) while the doors are at the media blaster or the paint shop.
Quadratec and Morris 4X4 sell door gaskets and window channels. Your window channels might be OK, but you'll need new door surround gaskets.
You can tighten the window cranks as you reassemble the doors.

Good Luck, L.M.
Mac I know the Jeep salvage yard you are referring to. I have seen them at place in So Cal that also specializes in parting Jeeps (mostly YJ’s and TJ’s), that we frequent when we need something we don’t have stashed away. They will load up multiple rust free tubs, doors, and other sheetmetal, and cart it back to Colorado. I know the prices from So Cal, and the prices that are charged in CO are very different!

·
Registered
82 Posts
$400-$600

I have seen folks asking up to $800 so far and I imagine this will continue to climb as the years go on.

I found a decent set, with a key for the locks for $400. Complete, zero rust and everything working. A couple dings in one door, scratches here and there. I was pleased to find them in that condition for that price.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well alright then. The doors are actually ours that came with our YJ. I really have no use for them so they'll get listed here in the classifieds once I reach the needed 15 posts, im almost there, to do so. Put them on Craigslist as well here locally. Thanks for the replies as well. Rather see them go to good use than try to make a killing on them.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I think i paid $600 per door but i bought them from the dealer when they started clearing all the YJ stuff out. But they were brand new complete doors that had to be painted so then i had to pay for that on top of it. It was impossible to find clean doors with no rust in the rust belt so i did not have a choice.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$600 each from the dealer really dosent sound that bad. Wonder what they might have sold hardtops for? One of the aftermarket guys is getting $2500 for a used top. That's insane IMO.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
$600 each from the dealer really dosent sound that bad. Wonder what they might have sold hardtops for? One of the aftermarket guys is getting $2500 for a used top. That's insane IMO.

Yeah i cant remember what they sold for before they slashed prices to get rid of them but they were crazy expensive. $600 per door did not seem bad for a brand new door in a Mopar box.

They were a little goofy though you could tell that they were not used to making them anymore. The inside door handle locks that have lock printed on the lock switch were on the wrong side. So when you pressed lock it unlocked it, confusing. Chrysler never really did get the hang of making a quality product. I am sure it hasn't gotten any better since Fiat took over

1 - 14 of 14 Posts