Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been reading posts for the last few months and just trying to figure out what I can do.

Here is my situation. I have had a few 2000 and newer Jeeps, but bought an '89 YJ on an impulse (I know, I'm real dumb) and have paid for my stupidity. I am in California (Smog Certification Nightmare state) and of course the YJ is missing every bit of smog equipment, has a non compliant carb, and no computer.

I keep thinking it would be best to just sell it to a smog friendlier state and take my thousands of losses, but I really would like to try and keep it.

Thought about the Mopar EFI kit, but after testing the motor, the compression was at like 50%. So instead of trying to get this motor compliant, I think it would be best to just swap it out with a new motor with all the smog parts including the computer.

I have talked to a couple of Jeep repair guys and they are quoting about $9k. I don't think it would be worth moving forward for that kind of cash. Better off just cutting my losses now.

I am really in need of some help. Anyone have a mechanic around the So Cal/LA/Inland Empire area that is knowledgeable regarding an engine swap? I need someone to talk to. Would love to get this thing on the road with something like a Cherokee Engine or whatever folks think would be the best route to get this Jeep back on the road. I could really use someone to talk to and some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
684 Posts
A cheaper alternative might be the 4.0 from a later jeep.Get the whole jeep and pull everything you need.
If your heart is set on a v8 you might check a 5.2 or 5.9 magnum out of a dodge truck. The LS's are great motors but pricey. There are other 6cyl options as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Zombie. A later year 4.0 is definitely an option. I was just thinking if I am going to swap engines, I might as well make a big upgrade while I am at it.

What I really need is a local mechanic that has experience with this. I dont really know how to source a motor and make sure it will fit and also have all the smog parts I need.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You can pick up good running, lower mileage, 4.0 powered jeep cherokees in my area pretty cheap.
With the 4.0 you get the fuel injection and all the emissions equipment. The swap is pretty straight forward but there is wiring to do.
I sadly can't help with the mechanic aspect, sorry bud. I'm in the Midwest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Zombie, you kind of have me leaning towards that direction now. Just a newer YJ engine with The fuel injection.

Now i just need a mechanic that is experienced with the engine swap. I need some definite help in sourcing the engine to make sure I get everything I need and to make sire it conforms with California smog.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it was me in your situation, I think I would just get a rebuilt 4.2 short block, transfer everything from the old engine, and install a carb legal Howell fuel injection and be done with it. The Mopar injection is nicer, but costs more, the Howell is more cost effective and works very well, in my opinion. Faster and easier swap.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If it was me in your situation, I think I would just get a rebuilt 4.2 short block, transfer everything from the old engine, and install a carb legal Howell fuel injection and be done with it. The Mopar injection is nicer, but costs more, the Howell is more cost effective and works very well, in my opinion. Faster and easier swap.
If you go this way, make sure you get a long block, it will have a better warranty and every thing have been rebuilt, head and all.

Reactions: Beach248

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Kepp it coming! Much appreciated. I scheduled a meeting next Friday with a local shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts