Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here is the situation im in, 93 yj with some frame issues mostly rot in the rear shackles, everybody already knows what area im talking about. I have no welder or would I attempt to weld a frame fix with no welding experience. So I ventured out to get estimates at some body shops. HOLY SHIT you have got to be kidding me!! The cheapest I got was around 1k all the way up to 2k plus.:banghead::banghead:

I already have the replacement parts purchased through quadratec, both rear shackle sections and the rear crossmember. no customizing needed. to all the welding vetrans out here please tell me these estimates are insane. I have no garage or the assortment of tools to do a frame swap, I just want this one fixed. If these are the estimates im getting this poor yj might never get fixed, and everyone knows you cant sell a yj with a bad frame.

My plea is that there is maybe somebody local to me or somewhat local that enjoys welding and likes to make a little money on the side. im located in maine. any help would be appreciated here are some pics of the problem area. :surrender:

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
before I got a welder I used a guy at a fab shop to weld. think it cost me a 12 pack of mgd. try local welding shop.

·
Registered
787 Posts
JAYSUS!!!.....i had some rust holes in the same area and got a buddy of mine (professional welder) to cut, replate, AND build me a frame mounted trailer hitch, that looks like a factory job, and the tab was 200.00!.....them people are trying to rob you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks blazer I have actually been checking craigslist I must have missed that ad you sent a link to. The couple people I found on craigslist before after speaking to them, I would have been better off doing it myself. What do you think is a reasonable price considering I already have the replacement parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i got a guy gonna do my rear frame rails the front tank crossmember and shock towers in the rear for bout 700....he has to drop the tank and all that...and puttin tank skid plate on...thats me buyin the parts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did the autorustec rear chassis shackle replacement and the metal removed was trouble looking for an opportunity. as best I can tell when I removed the area involved with a plasma cutter leaving the top part of the channel intact with as much as half down each side that was still pretty thick to position the saftcaps back I stick welded tacked into place. My neighbor had a mig welder with some guts to finish the rest of the welding. didn't take him too long to do this. It looks solid and probably will outlast me. beach buggys salt surfers are best avoided and can cause a lot of headache and heartache if you get that twinkle in your eye for a resto. my limited experience has shown me that a 91 yj frame seems to be one that winds up being a less rusted frame even though a 95 is galvanized dipped. the 95's I've seen just haven't measured up to what the 91's frame overall condition is. now again, my limited experience and watching many others upgrade to v8's and lifts and for some unknown reason 91's seem to hold up better or get modded for bigger engines. the real pros here may be able to tell you different and I'm sure they will tell you otherwise. for me I chose to fix up my 95 YJ and am still working on it since I got it 8 months ago. It took me a while of tinkering to figure out what where and how to look for issues before purchasing a jeep. one that is in better shape overall and makes you feel like you really got your moneys worth. I'm a slow learner...Driller

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I was talking to a guy who builds Jeeps and to fix 2 spots on my frame (TJ) he wanted $65.00 an hour.He said it would take 10 hrs or more to do.I declined his estimate and went to the guy who does my work on my Mustang.Its still at his shop so when I get the bill I will let you know how much.Im not worried because hes always very fair on his prices.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm in central Maine and had a local shop weld plate on my frame. He did RR inner, LR inner/outer/bottom and he also did the flat bar w/ welded nut fix on my skid plate, completely replated my fuel tank crossmember w/ 1/8" steel, patched the holes the PO cut in the frame rails to access the nuts for the skid :rolleyes: and patched my front body mount bracket. Grand total was $420 but I think I saved a bit by towing the thing to him as a rolling chassis. Made things real easy for him :D

Here's some before and afters. The new steel is kinda crappy looking because I had to leave it outside for three days in the rain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts