Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks as my name says im new to jeeps but not mechanical builds so i do have some abilities just not specific knowelage i need. i recently purchased a 1995 wrangler and its a high milage and needs alot of parts replaced eventually. heres my first question. if i want to replace the dana 35/30 with a set of strong front and rear ends where do i start? i know rearends are findable in junkyards ut im sure some are better than others. meaning front ends from certain trucks. which are closest to the width i need and such? also where do i find the proper brackets to weld onto the new rear ends to match the yj? sorry so may questions im just trying to narrow it down so i can find parts to rebuild dureing the winter here in iowa.
thanks randy

·
Registered
458 Posts
More info on your jeep and your overall goals would be helpful. Auto or manual? Expected tire size.... you get the idea

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. im not looking for huge tires. maybe 35's 33's for sure. im live in iowa and we dont have rocks to climb just mud and snow. the jeep has a ton of miles so im going to have to go through the entire drive train eventually. it has a 4cyl now though im not against going with a 6 cyl or v 8. actually thats another question. with mudding being my best chance of offroading im thing the 4 cyl wont cut it without gearing it to the sky. now it has a 5 speed manual though if i do a switch im leaning towards a 700r4. i wont need the jeep for daily transportation but want to be able to drive it on the streets from time to time without following behind it with a trailer. A rough draft of my uneducated plan would be 4.3 v6, 700r4, widest set of 33's i could find because i prefer the look of wider tires. as i said just rough draft

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
^ yup. If you want to run 35's for tires you'll want to go w/ford 8.8... a lot depends on your engine as well. If its got a 4 cylinder, only lift it 2" and go with 31's... otherwise you can do almost anything lol

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
a ford 8.8 with a factory 4.10 and your stock d30 front (as long as its 4.10 as well) would be good with 33's....if u put a bigger motor in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a ford 8.8 with a factory 4.10 and your stock d30 front (as long as its 4.10 as well) would be good with 33's....if u put a bigger motor in.
so if i was to consider a 8.8 what would it preferably be from? 5.0 mustang or f series? point being i have no plans to "go big" but i could see a chance of a v 8 in the future. also my thought process is even though i have no plans to "go big" just yet i am going to have to go through the entire drivetrain as i said so with that thought would the 8.8 be a good idea since i have to rebuild both ends anyway? cost ways is it close enough to go ahead and go for it now or just keep the 30/35? sory ive started out makeing such long posts.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
look for one out of a explorer or mountianeer something like 95-00 with disc brakes. If youre going to do anything to the d35 replace it. the d30 is a good (and free since you already have it) option for the front because if you find the 8.8 with a 4.10 you dont have to don anything to it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks alot. i dont mean to keep asking and asking but lets say i find me a rear end which shouldnt be a problem. where do i find the brackets and spring mounts at? ive looked around but honestly there is SOOO much jeep stuff its overwhelming to start out. thanks again

·
Registered
818 Posts
Keep reading on here, these guy's know their stuff....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Teraflex sells a kit with every thing u need perches e brake hook up and adapter for the pinion

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if you want to change the entire drive train you could probably buy an entire truck with the running gear you want that has a bad body for less than you can buy the individual parts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
if you want to change the entire drive train you could probably buy an entire truck with the running gear you want that has a bad body for less than you can buy the individual parts
I agree. I just bought an 87 K-5 Blazer with a fuel injected 350. No title, but I got it for $500.00 and drove it home :thumb:

If you plan to keep the 4 banger just go with the 8.8 and keep cost down. You can get the perches from Morris4x4.com, Jeepaddons.com, e-bay, etc.
You can do plenty of mudding with a good set of tires and lockers on the 4 banger. My 90 model has 4.88 gears, with 33" tires, lincoln-locked rear and the stock Dana 35. I can go where bigger trucks cannot in mud. The Dana 35 is not the best axle, but I have always had good luck with them, so I am not going to trash talk it too bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys. im gld to know i have a few options to consider. im looking forward to spending alot of hours reading and reading this forum to learn all i can. thanks again

·
Registered
179 Posts
M.O.R.E. has a lot of stuff to put a 8.8 in a YJ. Read up on them a lot of people say to weld the housing to the axles, have it done by a professional and save yourself some headaches down the road. The D35/8.8 is a great combo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts