Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First timer here
Question on a 95 wrangler fuel tank -- needed a new fuel pump - bought one
The problem is the filter makes it too high - can I take out the square plastic whatever in the middle of the tank (Do i even need it)as it may give me enough room to fit the pump -- if so how do i do it

thanks for the help

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is the filter different than the one you took off? I would think if you got a decent quality replacement it would fit. Mine didnt fit when i replaced it but it turned out that i bashed my skid plate a little and it was denting the tank.
The white thing in the bottom of the tank directs the gas to the lowest part of the tank. Ive heard of people taking it out without any problems but i dont know how they got it out.
And welcome to the group!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yj fuel pump

Yes the screen/filter on the new pump is a bit taller than the screen on the old pump - since the old pump is original I figured they changed it a bit - but it makes the fit that 1/16 -1/8 of a inch higher - what I think i can do is swap the screens off the old and new pump that seems to be where the problem is -- the pump and sending unit are fine - the metal hook ups on top have a pin hole in it - that is what I really need

I have read that the bowl on the tank keeps the fuel from splashing around and some how keeps the pump from running dry - seems to be a 50/50 split if it is needed or not

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI ,,I changed the fuel pump on my 93 wrangler ,4 cylinder motor ,,The wires running to the fuel pump are different colors than the wires running from the new fuel pump ,,There are three wires running to the fuel pump ,and three wires running from the fuel tank,,,,The wires are not color coded and the old connectors were shot and non usuable ,,I know the black wire from the pump is a ground wire ,,The pump wire is orange and the sending unit wire is brown I believe ,,Just don't know how to wire them to the three wires running to the tank ,as the wire colors are different colors ????? HELP !!! LOL

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Pull the white plastic tank from the bottom of the gas tank, it gets warped over time. All you need to do is grab hold of it and pull, it will break the plastic welds and come out. It is not needed, many new tanks don't have them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
While the tank is dropped, see if it is one of the years that actually has the 20 gallon tank and if so, then do the gas tank mod.
I'd spend an extra $20 and replace the tank straps as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts