Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope some of you knowledgable folks are able to figure out what hinges I should have on my YJ, I've been through three sets now that don't work!

The Jeep came originally with half-doors, and I purchased full-doors a few months ago with a hard top. Problem was, the hinge that came with the full door wouldn't line up with the hinge on the body.

So, we ended up using the half door hinges (both parts) to put the full doors on with. Other than looking a little ugly, it seemed to work fine. But, a few weeks later and the doors started to rattle like crazy no matter what I adjusted, so I decided I should try to find the correct hinges.

I looked online and found full door hinges specifically for 94-95 YJ's, and figured that must have been the cause of the original problem. (My YJ is a '95, but the full doors originally came off a '93, I think.) So, I ordered the 94-95 YJ hinges. When I got them and eyeballed them, the top looked right, but the bottom one looks just like the wrong half-door hinge that's there now, and doesn't use the 3rd hole. I'll try to attach some pics to show what I mean. They are pictures of the passenger-side door and hinges. The same issue applies to the drivers-side door.

So now I'm totally confused, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
the rattling could be from a bad door seal or worn door striker pin/latch

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
the larger hinges dont look right, they should both be like the smaller ones you have, try to find some OEM ones off ebay or something is my only advise, you could also use cj7 OEM hinges.

Did u try to adjust the hinges that came with the full doors? The plates that the screws go into inside the door does move, maybe yours were seized in place?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new top hinges are right, they fit perfectly, and fit all three bolt holes. The old smaller ones on the jeep are WRONG, they only line up to 2/3 holes, and put the mirror in the wrong place.

It's the LOWER hinge that is giving me trouble.

The hinge halves that came on the full doors were off by about an inch. I'd have to completely drill new holes in the body and mount the body-side part of the hinge an inch lower for that to even sort-of work..

Is there anyone out there that has actually put older YJ doors on a newer YJ?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Lots of people put random year doors on yj's. They are all interchange, I have doors off an 80 Cj on mine

·
Registered
442 Posts
Something seems odd. As already said all, CJ, and YJ doors will interchange. Only thing that usually is different is the latch assembly. How bout a picture of the entire door and one of the hinges that came with the doors.

·
RUBISEAN
464 Posts
Hello,

I hope some of you knowledgable folks are able to figure out what hinges I should have on my YJ, I've been through three sets now that don't work!

The Jeep came originally with half-doors, and I purchased full-doors a few months ago with a hard top. Problem was, the hinge that came with the full door wouldn't line up with the hinge on the body.

So, we ended up using the half door hinges (both parts) to put the full doors on with. Other than looking a little ugly, it seemed to work fine. But, a few weeks later and the doors started to rattle like crazy no matter what I adjusted, so I decided I should try to find the correct hinges.

I looked online and found full door hinges specifically for 94-95 YJ's, and figured that must have been the cause of the original problem. (My YJ is a '95, but the full doors originally came off a '93, I think.) So, I ordered the 94-95 YJ hinges. When I got them and eyeballed them, the top looked right, but the bottom one looks just like the wrong half-door hinge that's there now, and doesn't use the 3rd hole. I'll try to attach some pics to show what I mean. They are pictures of the passenger-side door and hinges. The same issue applies to the drivers-side door.

So now I'm totally confused, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Just for reference my jeep started life as a soft top. Look at my hinges and see if they are the same as what you are trying

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
You will notice my door hinges are slightly different from mcseang's. While both of his hinges are the larger ones, I have a large one like his up top and one similar to the size in your above picture at the bottom of the door.

Top like mcseang's:

Bolt pattern for the mirror on top:

Bottom hinge like the one in your pic. Notice it isn't the same size as my top hinges:

·
RUBISEAN
464 Posts
You will notice my door hinges are slightly different from mcseang's. While both of his hinges are the larger ones, I have a large one like his up top and one similar to the size in your above picture at the bottom of the door.

Top like mcseang's:

Bolt pattern for the mirror on top:

Bottom hinge like the one in your pic. Notice it isn't the same size as my top hinges:
just digging the color

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having the same problem... I ordered new door hinges to line my doors up nice and tight but the hinge bolt holes are different... I ordered 86-06 I think the box said... so I don't know what to do... I don't know what these doors are off of....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all! Just so happens that I am in the process of painting the hinges on my 93YJ. For the answer to your question etwilliamson, both the upper and lower should look the same (except the upper has threads on the hinge pin) Both my 90 and my 93YJ are exactly the same. And the mirrors on both of the yj's are mounted on the door and not the hinge.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,671 Posts
Welcome to the Forum notjustafordguy,

The original post is from Aug. 2013 and the most recent post above yours is from May, 2016. Check the top left corner of the dialog box when replying to related posts. Hopefully the above posters have resolved their issues by now.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Newer YJ's with hinge mounted mirrors use the long hinge. Older YJ's with tiny sheet metal mounted mirrors use the short hinge.

·
Super Moderator
12,671 Posts
No problem being new. This is a massive forum and it takes a quite a bit of time to learn your way around.
The recommended reading at the bottom of the page is supposed to give related content to the topic of discussion. Sometimes the recommended posts are ancient. They may or may not apply to current situations.

We're glad to have you here.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Luckymac, following the links below is exactly what brought me here, and of course me not paying attention to the post date, lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts