Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked several times but I think my situation is unique. I broke the plug on my wiring to my fuel pump. So i just rewired it myself with individual plugs for each wire. The first combination of wires i tried didnt work. I thought it was the right one, i wasnt just connecting random wires. The second one did work though. The jeep runs now but the gas gauge doesnt work.

Is it possible that i still have it wired wrong or did the first combination ruin my sending unit and im going to have to drop my gas tank again?

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
Tomm, we need a little more info.
How many wires are in the plug?
Did you replace your fuel pump/gas guage?
Do you have a Factory Service Manual?
Did you check the little "basket" in the bottom of the tank if you had the fuel pump out?

Let us know, Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
OOPS! You may have fried it

Fill out your profile, or add a sig line to identify the year and engine as the wiring will be different

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
After looking at DREDnots post, think about this.

We assume you replaced the unit because the fuel pump was bad and the gas gauge was working properly. (An assumption because of the limited info).
Is it possible to separate the gas sending unit from the old fuel pump assembly and fit it onto/into the new (and hopefully correctly wired) fuel pump?

The above might save the cost of a new fuel pump. Still a pain to drop the tank again.
Did you put Neversieze on the nuts & bolts?
On these old Jeeps, whenever you take anything apart that might have the slightest possibility of rusting, always goop the fasteners up with Neversieze.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry i was at work and didnt have time to put more info in. Its a 94 2.5l. Theres 3 wires in the plug, not sure of colors ill check when i get home in about a half hour. I just replaced the fuel pump. I have a haynes manual.
Basket at the bottom?

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
Basket at the bottom?
There is a plastic basket gizmo (called a sump) that keeps the gasoline from sloshing around the fuel sending unit when the fuel level is low. If it weren't for the sump, the gas gauge would be erratic during a low fuel condition. It may also hold the lower portion of the fuel pump from flopping about and causing premature fuel pump failure.
Sometimes they warp with age and some Jeepers remove them. DREDnot has come up with a clever and very inexpensive way to cure the warping.

If you have to pull your fuel pump, just look down the hole.
If there is any crud, wipe it out before re-installing the repaired pump or a new pump.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theres an orange wire from the tank connected to a green wire from the jeep. A tan from the tank to a blue from the jeep. and a black from the tank to a black and orange from the jeep.
Does anybody have the same color wires? Thats the way that can run the fuel pump and is the same way that ran through the plug.

Maybe theres a fuse somewhere that i couldve blown? Or did i just fry the sending unit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts