Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 gal tank now in my TJ. I was thinking about changing it out to a 20 gal tank a friend has thats out of a YJ. Will this work?

·
Registered
538 Posts
You may not REALLY have a 15 gallon tank. Search on increasing tank size in early TJs by cutting the filler tube.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have a 15 gal tank now in my TJ. I was thinking about changing it out to a 20 gal tank a friend has thats out of a YJ. Will this work?
As stated you actually have a 19 gallon tank that is restricted by the length of the vent tube that extends into the tank. If you drop your tank when it's almost empty and remove the fuel pump assembly you can reach in and cut about 3" off the vent tube with a razor knife. You can still use the same pump assembly but it will just stay full longer or you can swap in a 19 gallon pump assembly.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
my jeep is a 1999
All TJ's came with a 19 gallon tank, it's the length of the vent tube that makes it a 15 gallon tank. Just a way for Chrysler to make a few bucks on a factory option that cost them basically nothing to do.

You may not REALLY have a 15 gallon tank. Search on increasing tank size in early TJs by cutting the filler tube.
I hope you meant vent tube

1 - 6 of 6 Posts