Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the motor and transmission out of a 1997 XJ into a 1988 YJ. Motor is 4.0 with the AW4 automatic transmission. I have the motor running with the ignition switch. What I'm trying to do is get the gauges to work. Tachometer, Oil pressure, Volt meter and water temp. Has anyone else done this with the YJ gauges? Any input, advice and such is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both sets of wires figured out. What I need to figure out is if you can use the YJ gauges with an XJ running system?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I think 88 to 97 is a bigger concern than xj to yj....
I'd think not

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have both sets of wires figured out. What I need to figure out is if you can use the YJ gauges with an XJ running system?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
From what I understand the YJ gauges will not work with the XJ system. If you just HAVE to keep the YJ gauges you can always buy digital gauges that fit the YJ that are compatable with digital signals from the XJ. They have a direct fit gauge for the YJ dash panel. The signals from the 2 systems are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Coolant temp sender is in the back of the head on a 88 and i don't think it is on a 1997 i think it takes the reading from the thermostat sensor. So i highly doubt you will be able to get that working without swapping to a thermostat housing like this and installing it there High flow Thermostat Housing HFTH4 | Hesco

Oil sending unit should be easy to swap over, the tach and volt i have no isea i dont even think the 88 used a Denso alternator i think it used a GM. And there are internally and externally regulated Denso's. I suck at electrical so i dont know if it's possible to get it to work.

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
You just hard wire the pre CCD bus dumb gauges

The 97 up maybe even the 96 but it is a weird hybrid
Does not use gauges that direct read anything the 97-2001 XJ and 97-2000 TJ run all the cluster gauges off encoded info on the CCD twisted pair bus

The PCM gets the rpm and sending unit info then sends an encoded signal to the cluster to control the gauges

A regular dumb voltage gauge just needs grounded and tied to the positive system and it does not give a rats ass what type alt you have

Ammeters are much different but voltage reading gauge is as simple a hook up as you can get

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No such thing as a 96....

Ammeters are super easy to hook up too fwiw

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Seen a few 96 XJ so sure is such a thing

And the OP did discuss XJ

No 96 wrangler that is true