Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm about to buy a yj hardtop. I have heard that cj and yj hardtops are interchangeable. Is this true? Also whats the difference the hardtops with the handle to the tailgate and the one without. Was the handle made for the CJ? Any input would help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup a cj will fit a yj. From what I've read only difference from just the tops is vents or how the sides are molded, I forget which but something along that line. Only the cj has the chrome handle on the liftgate bottom piece originally but it will fit a yj also. I've talked to a couple people who had YJs but had the handle. On the yj you close down the liftgate then close the hatch. On a cj you close the hatch then lower down the liftgate. Also, a yj hatch swings out but a cj swings down like a truck. Be sure you have a good seal across the front of your top where it meets your windshield or the wind will roar in and freeze you to death in the winter. I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings but I hope I helped you some.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big thanks for the info. Bought hardtop about 4 months ago in excellent condition. Friend (now ex-friend) was transporting tot o a shop in my truck. Idiot starting going 70 miles an hour and the top flew out and smashed on the highway. He refused to help me recovery it. Big loss. Paid only 450 for it. Now I'm about to buy another one I found for 700. Pretty good shape and all it needs is a good paint job. I know 700 is more than I paid for the first one but I gotta get past the hurt. This one is without the handle like the first one I bought so it's a true YJ hardtop. It's coming off of a Rio Grande Wrangler. Was just a little concerned on whether it would fit. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
7oo is cheap cheap... i cant find a used one for less then 1000 most are around 1500

im guessing the 1500 dollar ones have a few hundred bucks thrown on top for negotiations... but still Im guessing around 900 ish

i have one, but it was damaged so the drivers side rear corner doesnt seal, and 'kinda sticks out' a little bit...

I was hoping to find an undamaged one and then sell mine for 500 so my net cost was as low as possible.

I would think as summer approaches prices would go up

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ouch. Been there. When I got my yj all the glass was busted out because it feel out of the back of a truck. Other than the glass and a couple little scraps it was fine. Ordered some glass and got it fixed up. 700 is a lot to dish out but that's a pretty fair but firm price around my area for one in very good shape. If your gonna give it a little paint the rattle can is your best friend. Lol.

·
Registered
471 Posts
oh wow.. dyslexia affects more then just left/right... I screwed up seasons... hehehe

·
Registered
514 Posts
I see all these ppl fuss about the hard top seal... I slap mine on and bolt it down no wind noise I hate the hardtops but I like to be not so cold in the winter..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great prices on your area dral, prices are double in my area. I guess it's a region thing. On Craigslist around here, YJs parts or parts jeeps around here are few and far between and don't last long, lol.
Cad your top must fit like a glove. I've tried to adjust my front before I got my seal and still was very gusty in the front.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I leave the bolts to the rollbar loose after I take off softtop the set it down bolt the top down then tighten the window up seems to work

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only reason I'm buying this top is to complete the jeep. I have everything else...half/full/fabric doors. plastic/glass windows. The top would complete the list of options I have for the jeep. The hardtop I'm looking at to buy is comes complete with a wiper, all the window seals are good, hydraulics are good, etc. All I need is a good paint job and it will look brand new. But I keep questioning the price. Wish I lived back east.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got my hardtop, 2 full doors, a new hood and new grille for $350. Course that was at the end of the summer and guy just wanted them gone.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I just picked up a cj top for three hundred. Found fiberglass full doors two days later for a hundred each.

Need to do cosmetic repairs on all of it and new glass for the sliders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts