Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1993 Wrangler (five-speed, 2.5 liter 4 cylinder) with 180K miles and an engine that's been recently rebuilt. A few weeks ago, while driving in town, it suddenly started sputtering and acted like it had about 3 horsepower. I limped home and tried starting it again. It took forever to do so, but when it did turn over it was sputtering and coughing, and the throttle was largely unresponsive. Pressing on the gas pedal produced something akin to rapid backfiring. I changed out the plugs and wires. That did nothing. I'm going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow (which looks to be quite old), but I'm not sure that will do it. As I mentioned, this problem occurred SUDDENLY and without warning. It has always run very well before this.

I've searched this forum and it seems that it could be a number of things - catalytic converter, O2 sensor, fuel pump, etc.

So, if I replace the fuel filter and it STILL has this problem, can anyone advise me on what would be the next thing to check/replace?

Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Catalytic converter.
A little tricky to test.
But crawl under and give it a few shakes and whacks. If you hear anything loose inside, it's shot. Time for a new one. Legally you need one, I personally haven't had any issues in the past not having one. But I don't condone that. As that would be illegal... But works...

·
Registered
787 Posts
i've had that problem twice, but with the 4.0.....turned out to be the crank sensor both times...have you run the OBD for codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've had that problem twice, but with the 4.0.....turned out to be the crank sensor both times...have you run the OBD for codes?
Not yet, no. I think I'll replace the catalytic converter (as mentioned above) and the fuel filter. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll take your advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not yet, no. I think I'll replace the catalytic converter (as mentioned above) and the fuel filter. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll take your advice.

Thanks!
thats alot of money to throw at one do you have a fuel press gauge if so hook it up and start jeep at idle push the press release button and see if she dies if so fuel pump time, I dont think its ur cat could be crank senser lots cheaper then cat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts