Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed 2-1/2" Rubicon Express lift on my 1994 YJ. Experiencing a major "shimmy" at 65 mph. Attributed some/most of it to the old tires. Now with new rims and 31x10.50x15's the "shimmy" is less, but none the less still there.

Lowered transfer case 1" as part of the lift kit and 2.5 degree shims on rear axle blocks.

Other symptom is a bit of vibration during down shift?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you leave the trans mount bolts loose and drive it a bit to "center" everything? My kit said to do that as the last step. Drive a few miles with the trans mount to skid plate bolts loosened and then tighten them afterward.
Just an idea, I haven't had any vibes.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I'll give it a try.

·
Administrator
12,514 Posts
Front end Alignment perhaps?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the alignment looked at. The report shows left and right toe @ -0.13 each with a normal range of -0.06 to +0.06. Camber on left at -0.6 and right at 1.1 with a normal range of -0.5 to +0.5. So all in all, not too bad.

The more I drive it, the more I realize it's driveline vibration and not the front end. At this point I think it's time to consider the slip yolk eliminator. The 1" TC drop included in the lift kit just didn't do it for driveline vibration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
when you lifted your jeep the best way to make sure everthing is centered and square is to leave all shackle bolts u-bolt and all transmision/skid plate bolts slightly loose then let the jeep sit on a flat suface and bounce the front and rear with all your weight several times and then torque every thing down, that should solve problems and align everthing.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So we loosened the transfer case mounting bolts and bounced the rig around. Then took it for a ride through the neighborhood. Came back and torqued down the bolts. Also dropped the pressure in the new tires.

This has solved about 50% of the vibration/shimmy. I still hit a patch between 63 and 67 where the rig shimmy's then settles right down?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
whiteyj said:
I still hit a patch between 63 and 67 where the rig shimmy's then settles right down?
Glad to hear that you settled most of it. What you have left is pretty normal. There are certain vibrations that are going to be there on a lifted jeep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts