Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from pismo sand dunes and I had a blast cruising my Chevy duramax through the dunes but next trip I'm towing my yj out there. How many of you have taken your yj to the sand dunes? I love mud and rocks but the sand dunes are a nice change I'm just curious what you guys run tire pressure wise and so forth.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i run like 15 psi if it is powder light pack 20

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
For 35" tires, around 15psi is about as low as you will want to go. It's sand, you're going to need to keep your RPM's up anyways.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking. I ran 20 in my Chevy which worked good which also has 35s

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll try 20 first but yeah 10 is too low without beadlocks

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I think I'll try 20 first but yeah 10 is too low without beadlocks
I've gone down to 12 in the dunes, no beadlocks, 35" Duratracs, no problems.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
A lot of different people drive differently. To me, driving in the sand dunes means pushing it hard and flinging sand off the tops of them lips amidst a slide :cool:

My kind of driving would have me using 25psi on that size tire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
it depends how you drive,, i regularly do no tmore than 9-10 PSI on the dunes without bead locks and have never slipped off a tyre,,, if you make sudden hard turns then yes your tire will come off.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Oh yeah that sounds like fun. Did some sand at 20 some at 15. Didn't really see much difference but my little 2.5L was great above 2K just keep going.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
My first wheeling experience was in the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes in Michigan. Loved it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
With my YJ at Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan, I ran 11psi when I had 31x10.50s. No problems and it did pretty good. Not sure what I'll run now that I have 35's.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
Not a YJ but my daughter and I always ran about 12 at Silver Lake, MI. Check it out, not nearly squatting as much as you might think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My duramax on 35s at pismo I run 20 psi and it works great. 10-15 works awesome if you are just trying to stay on top of the sand but if you start hitting corners you will be off tge bead in no time. I haven't taken my yj out yet though

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Part of this depends on your wheels without beadlocks. With 12.5 wide tires on an 8" rim 12# would be as low as I would go, on 10" rims I'd be above 15#. It also depends on your driving style, but in really loose sand it's hard to pull off really quick high speed turns going uphill unless your running a V-8. I've had my jeep at Pismo lots of times, it's where a hand throttle comes in handy. Trying to keep a smooth pedal on the whoop de doo's is much easier with a hand throttle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i went to pismo, and the jeep did surprisingly well. I made it up hills that some lifted diesels couldn't do. the jeep conquered every hill climb i tried, and was a total blast.
caught some air as well on some jumps, but dont reccomend that with the d30/35

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
It depends on what you are doing. I generally run 12-15. If I really want to climb I run 8. At 8 psi I can 2wheel every where just about. We have one on the Oregon coast called competition hill. Everyone gathers there to drag and show off. I can back up it at 8psi. I can barely get up it going forward at 12. That extra 4psi really makes a difference. But if you want to ring donuts and really dink around 12-15 would be wise...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts