Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing worn and bent leaf springs on my newly aquired 95 YJ Wrangler. Aside from weight rating is there a dimensional size difference between 4 and 6cyl leaf springs. I plan on towing my boat and adding a winch etc.... Makes more sense to upgrade to a heavier spring if there the same size and bolt right on. I have 2 inch shackles and complete bushing kits to replace the worn factory junk but im not lifting anymore. Will stock 6cyl leaf springs bolt to my stock 4cyl Wrangler.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have question, too. One of my left front leafs is bent. I want to repl. with factory spec. ( I don't really need to lift ) I got a set of used ones, but noticed the ones I have are a 4 leaf pack (about one inch thick) the ones I got are a 3 leaf pack (3/4 inch thick) What actually comes stock on these? I have a 95 w/ 2.5L 5spd. Are they any stock direct swap upgrades that I can look for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i also have a 95 2.5 4cyl 5 speed and my front driver side leaf spring is bent down and my tire is rubbing it making it hard for sharp turns the rest of the leaf springs are fine just the front drivers side thats bad. I have no intent to lift her yet due to she's my daily driver from school and work anyone have any suggestions where i can find or buy a new leaf springs or a set of new ones at stock specifications?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I found some somewhere by googling for them. I cannot remember where though

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
yeah, they are the same for 4cyl and 6cyl. Just remember, new springs are not stretched yet. They'll look really short until you set weight on them. Here is a pic... the shackles have to swing freely for the new springs to go in. Just finger tighten the bolts then set the jeep down. Once all the weight is on them, torque the bolts. ;)

Tightening the bolts without putting weight on the springs first is a very common mistake. And it makes the jeep ride like one of those bull machines.

oh, and welcome!!!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The OEM springs are made by Crown I think they should be replaced in pairs, not just one unless you get one used to get by till you replace all with new.
With in the last year, I put new OEM 4 leaf on the front of my 1990 4.2 I6 and later added a Winch and now the are starting to go past flat.
If I did it again I would use 5 leaf all around, and soon I plan to change the rear to 5 leaf because when I pull a small Boat or my Utility Trailer it sets down bad.

Go 5 leaf if you go with OEM!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I thought factory hard top Jeeps got a extra leaf in them....

I really should go dig mine out and count, but its dark, and im lazy....

EDIT: ok, just went and looked, my STOCK 2.5L factory hard top YJ had 5 in the rear, and 4 in the front from the factory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks guys for all your replys I'm going with 4 all new oem 5 leaf springs and 31inch tires my 95 4cyl came with 4 stock herd 5 is perfect for stock jeeper :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts