Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was thinking to myself "How cool would it be to put an old sports car on my yj frame rails?"

I have a great 95 YJ that i would never chop to do this but if i decided the tub was no longer usable, How doable would mounting a random ass car body onto the frame rails?

i am able to cut/weld a little but is the YJ a pretty solid base to work with?

·
Super Moderator
10,264 Posts
If the tub is rotted out, the frame is probably rotted out too. A roll over might be a usable donor. I certainly wouldn't break up a good Jeep for such a project.
I've seen all sorts of similar projects. Some are disastrous abortions and others looked pretty cool. If you're thinking about something like a MGA or MGB, the short wheelbase of a YJ or TJ might work to your advantage, at least visually. A gremlin might be an easier body to use but then it's not a sports car but should be easier to find and adapt.

I think when projects like this get started, the builder has a pickup with a bad body and some sort of other vehicle. Then, he has too much time and starts thinking.......

If you go forward, post a whole lot of pix and text. We can move this thread to a build forum if you decide to proceed and would like it moved. I strongly suggest doing your homework and find out what's involved before spending any money.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
123 Posts
growing up my neighbor put a Jaguar body on an old K series Blazer frame. His through process was exactly that, blazer with a good frame, jaguar with a good body, and too much free time.

for the record, his finished product looked very cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is something i would love to do lol but like Luckymac said, i would have to find a roll over or something.

My YJ has almost no rust so im pretty keen on keeping it stock. I really love to adapt an XJ unibody and put it on a wangler frame rail. Lots of ideas and lots of time XD

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Fwiw... the best 4x4 car builds have the frame and suspension built custom for them... stacking rarely works well for more than a couple trips to the county fair followed by being parked for 10 yrs behind the barn

I keep talking myself out of putting an xj drivetrain and axles under a bmw e36 convertible w 31" tires

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I werent so tall, I always thought it would be cool to put a Fiero on a YJ frame. The yj wheelbase is around the same as the fiero. Not sure how to get front engine room in a rear engine body though.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Actually no.... it's been done

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Pacer, Gremlin, Eagle....really any AMC vehicle would look cool on a 4wd platform. I've seen El Caminos and a 1950 Chevy p/u on Blazer chassis. 70s pro wrestlers Jack and Jerry Briscoe put a big Mercedes sedan on a 4wd chassis. I don't know what kind, I was 10. But I thought it was Awesome but I was 10.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats so cool. ive always wanted a 73 dodge charger on a 4wd frame. Not a slick shiny color but a rough and tough mad max look.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
4x4

Sometime ago I saw a 70's Camaro on a 4X4 chassis, not sure what it was but it looked well fabricated. It's probably been through the crusher by now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts