Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "MAINT REQ'D" light has been on since 120k miles. I now have 150k miles.
I know they come on every 60k miles, but I dont know how to reset them.
Anyone know how?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
As far as I know, the dealer has to reset it. I've heard people say that you have to disconnect the battery overnight, but I think that's a load. I would disconnect it or remove the bulb.

I think it's interesting you have a 92 YJ. As far as I have always understood it, they stopped installing this timed sensor light just pre 1992 models. I think it actually is an emissions thing.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Sorry if this is way off base, but that model YJ has an ECM right? I am sure that is how the light is timed. So spiking the ECM (disconnecting battery for an extended period of time) should turn it out right?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
1BLKJP said:
Sorry if this is way off base, but that model YJ has an ECM right? I am sure that is how the light is timed. So spiking the ECM (disconnecting battery for an extended period of time) should turn it out right?
I don't think so. Apparently this is a supervised circuit. Most likely powered by the computer battery for the subsystem BUS. More likely, it would decrease the life of the CMOS. Not a good thing.

Remember when Jeeps didn't have computers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a '92YJ and asked the dealer to reset it when I took mine in for the E-Brake recall. From what they told me that in '92 it's not resetable and you have to buy a new part that I think was $100.00 +/- :mad: I told him I'd just pull the lightbulb and the guy said that was going to be his suggestion.

SO...According to the dealer just pull the light.

Wildbill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts