Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Just bought an 89 Sahara, 143000 miles, well maintained, pretty much stock, 4.2 carbed engine. Anything in particular I should look for in the way of problem areas?
(cool site, BTW)

·
Registered
925 Posts
congrats! welcome to the yj fam!, im new to the fam myself, just got one a little over a month ago (i think), a 94 with 142k... just be ready to spend all your money. all of it. haha

·
Registered
316 Posts
im not high impressed with the carb on mine, the choke doesnt open up soon enuff and it seems to have a flat spot. id upgrade to the fuel injectoin if you have the money and good luck with your new yj in sure you`ll enjoy it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Welcome to the group and the YJ club:)
Sounds like we have the same Jeep as mine is an 89 YJ Sahara with a 4.2. It is still nearly stock

Well it was a nearly stock a few years ago. I hope you are not planning on saving money for your retirement:D
Jim

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey all! Just bought an 89 Sahara, 143000 miles, well maintained, pretty much stock, 4.2 carbed engine. Anything in particular I should look for in the way of problem areas?
(cool site, BTW)
The most frequent problem with the 4.2 6I is the old Carter carb and the pulse air system. Depending on the type of driving you do you may want (or have) to do something with the carb. You will need to check with your State MVD people as to what they will allow you to do.

I have an 88 YJ set up like yours when I bought it and have put on a High Energy Ignition system, MC 2100 carb and pulled all of the pulse air and emissions crap on it. Am still getting it right for me, but definitely better than before.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the replies. My state(OR) has decided to match California in the emissions department in a couple of years, so I'm not sure what I'd be able to do with the carb.
I was thinking of installing a cat-back exhaust(not sure what size), and maybe getting a K&N air filter for starters.
The pulse air system, is that the 2 tubes running to the air filter canister?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the replies. My state(OR) has decided to match California in the emissions department in a couple of years, so I'm not sure what I'd be able to do with the carb.
I was thinking of installing a cat-back exhaust(not sure what size), and maybe getting a K&N air filter for starters.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The factory original system required the computer to keep trying to adjust the air sent to the carburetor to burn more of the exhaust by alternating between drawing air from the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter. One tube connects to the manifold on the drivers side straight down from the firewall and the other comes off a nipple on the top of the cat. Depending on how you drive, they frequently trap air and it condenses in the air tubes, only to be sucked up into your air cleaner (making a mess of your filter) and further screwing up your available combustion air. The MC2100 has a circular filter exposed to the engine compartment air with no intake other than the surrounding air. With that you can tune it how you want it to run, not what the factory says it should do.

I had mine tested for exhaust emmissions in was told the only way it could be cleaner was if it was not running at all. I believed inspections should be purely performance based not on factory standards.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I had mine tested when I was running a Holley carb and it ran clean enough to pass, but since I removed the pulse air system they would not pass it. It was not legal in that part of the state to remove the emissions systems, whether they helped or not. That is when I upgraded to fuel injection. I since moved to a different county that does not test for emissions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx for the info. Leave it to the government to take something as simple as a straight 6 and mess it up with engineering.
GJ, who makes the MC2100?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanx for the info. Leave it to the government to take something as simple as a straight 6 and mess it up with engineering.
GJ, who makes the MC2100?
Don't know your age, but as you get older you'll discover many more things the gov't has screwed up.

The Motor Craft 2100 also comes as a 2150 suitable for higher elevations. You can go on Google and search and find it easily. Should be in the $200-$250 range.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx again. And don't worry, I'm old enough to know about government and how they "improve" things.
BTW, doesn't the YJ have a 15 gallon gas tank? I just put 16.91 gallons in mine!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanx again. And don't worry, I'm old enough to know about government and how they "improve" things.
BTW, doesn't the YJ have a 15 gallon gas tank? I just put 16.91 gallons in mine!
as tenacious d said in the pick of destiny (love that movie...:punk: ) "the government totally sucks"... good song.

anywho, about the gas, i was going to go into a whole speel about the yj's and how during production, they were all equipped with a 20 gallon tank, but the vent hose was stuffed deeper into the tank to make it seem like a 15, but then i realized you have an 89 i think it said up there... and the tank thing was only from 91-95.... so i dunno.

if you wanted to read more about that tank stuff tho, heres the link, it was in this forum under general discussion, and general faqs or something. its a sticky
http://www.wranglerforum.com/general-jeep-faq-stickies/gas-tank-1207.html

·
Registered
227 Posts
The stock tank was a 15 on your year, but the 20 was available as an option. Obviously you have the 20 because there is no way to get almost two gallons of gas in the filler tube.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx again. If I have anymore questions(and I'm sure I will) I'll go ahead and start a new post. I really appreciate all the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts