Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 YJ 4.0. I have full hard doors on it right now but they are two different styles and I don't know if either one are supposed to be on it. Different window crank handles, one has chrome trim on the upright between the wing and regular window.

I heard that the OEM doors for the 1994 YJ are actually half doors. I would like some confirmation on this if anyone might know.

I am looking to get a new soft top and I would like to know if I need to also invest in a new set of doors, which I am not opposed to doing.

Thanks, Michael - DenverJeeper1968

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
In 1994 you could get either hard half doors with a soft top or full hard doors with a hard top. There are different styles of hard doors and they changed a lot over the years.

Early YJ doors and a small mirror mounted to the door that looked like this. I think YJ's from 1987-1993 used this type

Then there were the large hinge mounted mirrors that i think became standard in 1994 and were used on TJ's as well.

CJ7 doors will also fit the YJ but they will not have mirrors on them at all because CJ7 mirrors were mounted on the windshield frame.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
When running a soft top on a jeep YJ you have to buy a type that will work with full hard doors. 99.9% of YJ's never came from the factory with full hard doors and a soft top. The soft top YJ's came with half doors and the door shape is different on them because they have a square corner not rounded off like full hard doors. So if you buy a standard YJ replacment top your current hard doors will not fit it. You would have to buy a Bestop Supertop or something equivalent to it.

·
Super Moderator
15,051 Posts
Post a pic of each of your doors. The early doors used a flat GM style single cut key and the later doors used a MOPAR double cut style key. The lock cylinders are a different size and are not interchangeable. I think the latches and lock rods are different too.
TJ doors look like they might fit the openings in the tub, but the strikers are way different and the door sills are completely different. TJ doors don't have a vent window (wing window).

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.