Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post so please excuse me, I am looking into buying my first Wrangler within the next month or so. I have had my eye on a YJ for a while but I have heard TJ's are better. I have always liked the look of a YJ but I have heard they have their issues. Ride is bad, weak frame, bad rust issues. The one I have been looking at is a '90 with a 4.2 and a 5 speed. I know that it has been built to be as reliable as possible, new Mastercraft carb, new distributer and many other new parts. I like TJ's but they are generally more expensive than a YJ. So should I go the chaper route and get a YJ or keep saving for a TJ?

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just recently bought a 2002 TJ with only 55,000 miles and it's lifted 7 inches and has the 4.0 engine which from what I've heard can last a very long time! Also on 35's it rides nice and parts are pretty cheap! I love mine!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Tj has coil springs, and an updated (new car style) interior.

Personally I wanted a Yj becuase it was simpler to work on and didnt have the updated interior. Also you will have the freedom to swap with Cj parts for many things

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The main advantage to the TJ is the coil suspension, optional D44, more powerful 4.0 (the YJ didn't get the HO did it?), NO CARBS, and thats about it. The YJ will be a lot cheaper to buy and a little cheaper to modify (especially to lift, no control arms or sway bars to pay for), a little simpler, etc. If you find a clean YJ you like, I say go for it!

·
Registered
295 Posts
How savvy are you with auto mechanics? YJs are all basically 20 yrs old or older... TJs can still be found that are less than 10 yrs old ( but just barely, haha). Statistically speaking that means you'll have an "easier" time finding a TJ that will run for longer than a YJ would without problems.

Beyond that, either option has its pros and cons. So it all comes down to what your plans are for it, your budget, etc.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Get a TJ. Coil springs, EFI, and the TJ 4.0 had had time to get a lot the design kinks out of it. I personally think the are a little more appealing to the eye also. Last true offroad oriented Jeep.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Get a TJ. Coil springs, EFI, and the TJ 4.0 had had time to get a lot the design kinks out of it. I personally think the are a little more appealing to the eye also. Last true offroad oriented Jeep.
Until the 2017 Wrangler comes out and then we'll all be saying that about the JK... :facepalm:

·
Registered
527 Posts
They can call it whatever they want, but Ill never own something with a plastic friggen grill lol!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
OP. Drive both then decide for yourself.

TJ owners like myself will tell you the positives of a TJ, YJ owners will come up with some lies as to the positives of a YJ :p

drive em. only you can decide what's right for you. Do your homework on them. Learn more than you ever thought possible.

Or just buy a TJ :D

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Tell us more about the YJ. Pics help.

My advice is get the best condition jeep you can afford no matter the model.

I've never regretted my YJ.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
The main advantage to the TJ is the coil suspension, optional D44, more powerful 4.0 (the YJ didn't get the HO did it?), NO CARBS, and thats about it. The YJ will be a lot cheaper to buy and a little cheaper to modify (especially to lift, no control arms or sway bars to pay for), a little simpler, etc. If you find a clean YJ you like, I say go for it!
91 through 95 YJ's had the 4.0L high output motor with multiple port injection just like the Tj's did. They also had the same ax15 5 speed trans and 231 transfer case.

If you are looking at a Yj it will be in your best interest to stick with the 91 to 95. These are great jeeps.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have both and they both serve different purposes. My TJ used to be stock but I lifted it and is my daily driver. I feel more comfortable wheeling my TJ daily driver than my YJ. My YJ feels like it has the flex of a gokart, I'm not sure if it's because I spend more time driving my TJ that I feel more comfortable wheeling in or what.

I wish my YJ could be my daily though. It's 1989, 4cyl, 85k original miles, manual 5 speed, and highway tires. I bought it last summer for $900 with a clean blue title. I get EXCELLENT gas mileage on it. What is keeping me from dailying it is I bought it all gutted out. It has no top, no radio, no nothing, rust holes, frame rot, and dry-rotted tires. If I get a top for it and fix it up, I will seriously consider making it my daily. But for now, I have too many projects on my hands.

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
406 Posts
I've had a TJ and now have a YJ. Had the TJ, had my twins, sold it for a car I could drive two kids AND stuff around in, and then picked up my current YJ about three years ago as a second vehicle. I'm partial to pros of both models, and from my experience:

Get a 4.0L HO motor. If a YJ, from '91 on, or if a TJ, just get the inline 6. My TJ was a 4 banger, and the YJ has more power and believe it or not is a little better on gas than the TJ was. If you get a YJ, consider looking for a '94 or '95. The '95 has superior rustproofing on the frame, and the '94 and '95 have an external clutch slave cylinder, which makes repairing the clutch master and slave a 4 bolt job. Older YJ's require dropping the trans to get to the slave. Also, older YJ's will have carburetors. Some love carbs, but personally I do like the convenience of fuel injection and for me it just shortens the list of repairs / maintenance.

The TJ is definitely "fancier". Digital stuff on the gauges, fancier panels on the interior. Easier (MUCH) to get to the speakers if you are into making your radio loud. However, the YJ has an elegant simplicity that I personally love. I have enough to do on the computer, smartphone, fancy devices and all that crap. It is, for me, great to step back in time to 1994 in my YJ, listen to the motor and ride around.

The YJ is leaf sprung, which is kind of cool I think. However, it's a bumpier ride than a TJ.

Finally, TJ's and YJ's alike can rust. Check for rust. Check for it on the frame, the floors, the rocker panels, near all the fender flares, check all over the place. Then check it again. Rust is a killer. I don't know where you live, but you should be able to identify around 3 to 5 Jeeps that fit your criteria to go look at. Check 'em all for rust three times each. Get on the ground. Crawl all up and down those things.

That's probably more than two cents, but hope it helps.

The choice is ultimately yours, so good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yes all Jeeps rust CJ/YJ/TJ im not sure if the plastic rusts on the JK's :hide:
The condition of the jeep is going to depend on how well the PO took care of it.
Find one that was driven seldom and not modified is your best bet

It is possible to find a near perfect YJ's you just need to look hard and be patient, I know of 2 right off the top of my head one with 30,000 miles (I own) and one with 13,000 miles currently a member of this forum is selling.

As I said in an earlier post I love the classic look of the YJ interior.. spice everywhere, and the simplicity of the mechanics.

As for the daily driver comfort, it depends on what you do.. if you toss mud tires on it and lift it all to heck with stiff offroad springs it will ride worse, although Ive heard OME is has kit that's very nice.

The stock TJ's im sure ride alot better with the plush interior and coils if that's what your after

Below the Sahara interiors battle it out YJ vs TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Beyond the YJ Leafs / TJ Coils and interior trim.

The TJ dash intrudes about 4" back into the Jeep. The seats are closer together so they can also move back and inside the roll bar hoop. Which is better? TJ seats actually recline.

I prefer the YJ leafs but finding a rust free YJ is way harder than finding a rust free TJ. AND rust free is worth a few thousand dollars.... TJ, YJ or CJ.

Looking at the photos IRQ posted.... I prefer the YJ interior.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I like the YJ's better. I think they where the last true jeep historically. They ride like a military jeep. The suspension is basically unchanged from the early days. I like the guages that run across. I really like the giant speedo in the center of the dash that the CJ's had and the Yj guages kinda remind me of that. I overall like the smaller dash better. And I don't like TJ's for the same reason some TJ owners don't like YJ's the lights. Those goofy turn signals don't look right on the fenders. But in all honesty they're all good. Just try to get one in the best shape you can in your price range.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Another good thing about the YJ... at least the '87s is the carpeting last forever. And it pulls out in seconds at the coin wash. And it dries real fast in the sun.

TJs... mine is an '05 and my heel wore thru the carpet years ago. They do not pull out in seconds. I've never tried the coin wash but something tells me pressure washing would destroy them.

I sold my YJ when it was 25 years old. Over 200K miles and the carpets still looked new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts