Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If You Are Looking For A Aeroskin Hood Protector Don't Waste Your Time! I searched the web and found 3 companies, Rampage, Lund and AVS, who allegedly sell a aeroskin hood protector, custom-molded and precision-engineered to fit the YJ's hood perfectly. THEY DO NOT FIT THE YJ! It fit my buddy's TJ perfectly, but does not fit the YJ. On my YJ the hood protector is supposed to cover the front rolled edges and corners of the hood and extend down the side of the hood to the fender. I could have lived with it being a tiny bit short, not that much. Also, all 3 companies initially refused to send me a return authorization, return shipping label and a full refund, until I debated their description of the product and fitment guide and produced pictures of the hood protector dry mounted on my YJ. I will say this, 4wheelpart.com did apologize for my troubles, stating that their product info is based on the information provided by the manufacturer. With that being said, the bug/air deflector seems to be the only available option for us YJ owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What is it? A bug shield? I don't see the point in it. My yj is 29 years old and the original paint is fine along the front of the hood.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What is it? A bug shield? I don't see the point in it. My yj is 29 years old and the original paint is fine along the front of the hood.
that was my thought too. my hood has two dents that actually hold water when it sits in the rain. I could prolly pop them out from the underside if I so desired, but I like the patina.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's not a big shield. In fact I hate bug shields. It's a hood protector. The purpose is to help prolong the life of the front on the hood from chip and dings. I just put a lot of time, sweet and money, Into body and paint and I want to try to preserve the finish as long as possible. Paint quality today ain't what it use to be. That's I painted the grill and the fender ends with textured Rhino truckbed liner. I would have done the same for the front of the hood but I thought the hood protector would be more appealing to the eye and it would save me hours of work grinding that stuff off if I have to repaint the hood again. I guess now I will have to decide if I'm going to Rhino it or just leave it be.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Most detail shops will install 'clear bra'. Same as paint protection film.

My paint job is 4 years old and I have one small chip on my grill panel that most folks would never see because I touched it up with a speck of the original paint.
I bought the best paint I could buy. All the materials cost me right at a Grand.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts