Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other threads with this topic but I couldn't really find my situation. My parking brake pedal didn't work at all. I'd always have to leave it in gear to park which isn't an issue because I'd do that anyways. But I just got finished changing out the parts on the rear drum brakes, including the self-adjuster kit and the e-brake hardware. I then adjusted the brake lines several times, but to my disappointment, the parking brake still does not engage.

My brake is the original one; pretty sure it is too late to get the recall service done.

My question is, what is the next step? I don't have 300$ to get a new pedal assembly. Is there something I'm missing or is my pedal just shot? Also which years match the same parking brake as the 93 YJ?

1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ Base
4.0L I6 H.O.
5 Speed
103,700 miles

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
From what I understand, Jeep is required by law to replace your parking brake pedal assembly under warranty if it hasn't been done before on your Jeep.

Simply go to a (honest) dealer and have them run your VIN. They should be able to tell you if the brake pedal recall has been done on your Wrangler. If it hasn't been done, they should be able to order a new one for you and install it free of charge.
There may be a way for you to check for yourself, perhaps another poster can chime in.

You state that the parking brake doesn't engage. What are the symptoms?
Will the brake stop your Jeep from rolling on a hill if you depress the pedal and hold it down with your foot?

If your research and a Jeep dealer tell you that your Wrangler has already had the park brake recall done, I suggest you attempt to locate a good used one. Other posters may know what vehicles interchange.

Let us know what you find out.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
My brake is the original one; pretty sure it is too late to get the recall service done.
If it is original, Jeep will still fix it under the recall. Your local dealer can ck the VIN for that recall and any others that may still be open.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I understand, Jeep is required by law to replace your parking brake pedal assembly under warranty if it hasn't been done before on your Jeep.

Simply go to a (honest) dealer and have them run your VIN. They should be able to tell you if the brake pedal recall has been done on your Wrangler. If it hasn't been done, they should be able to order a new one for you and install it free of charge.
There may be a way for you to check for yourself, perhaps another poster can chime in.

You state that the parking brake doesn't engage. What are the symptoms?
Will the brake stop your Jeep from rolling on a hill if you depress the pedal and hold it down with your foot?

If your research and a Jeep dealer tell you that your Wrangler has already had the park brake recall done, I suggest you attempt to locate a good used one. Other posters may know what vehicles interchange.

Let us know what you find out.

Good Luck, L.M.
Sorry for the late reply, just got off work. But my driveway has a slight incline, and pressing the pedal does nothing to prevent rolling. The "BRAKE" light comes on the dash fine but it does not work.

I did check online with my VIN, it says the owner was notified of the issue but the recall service was not done. I thought that 24 years later it would be too late but I guess I can still have the dealership do it.

Could the pedal itself be bad, and them replacing it make it work? All the drum brake components are brand new.

I'll also note that the parking brake does click like it is engaging and it does hold its place. So if there was no incline or decline, one would believe the brake was working fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, just got off work. But my driveway has a slight incline, and pressing the pedal does nothing to prevent rolling. The "BRAKE" light comes on the dash fine but it does not work.

I did check online with my VIN, it says the owner was notified of the issue but the recall service was not done. I thought that 24 years later it would be too late but I guess I can still have the dealership do it.

Could the pedal itself be bad, and them replacing it make it work? All the drum brake components are brand new.

I'll also note that the parking brake does click like it is engaging and it does hold its place. So if there was no incline or decline, one would believe the brake was working fine.
Based on the above statement, my guess is that you have other issues than the pedal assembly.
Most likely an adjustment. When you replaced the rear brake components, did you adjust the rear shoes until the wheel wouldn't turn and then back off the knurled wheel until the wheel turned freely (both sides)?

When you set the pedal, is there tension on both cables running from the drums to the equalizer?

You can buy a gizmo that will take up excessive slack in the E-brake cables. I consider this a temporary measure...the correct repair is to replace the cables if they are stretched beyond design function.

Post a couple pics of your equalizer with the brake set.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the above statement, my guess is that you have other issues than the pedal assembly.
Most likely an adjustment. When you replaced the rear brake components, did you adjust the rear shoes until the wheel wouldn't turn and then back off the knurled wheel until the wheel turned freely (both sides)?

When you set the pedal, is there tension on both cables running from the drums to the equalizer?

You can buy a gizmo that will take up excessive slack in the E-brake cables. I consider this a temporary measure...the correct repair is to replace the cables if they are stretched beyond design function.

Post a couple pics of your equalizer with the brake set.

Good Luck, L.M.
Alright so I dropped off the Jeep yesterday and I picked it up this morning. The new parking brake pedal assembly is in, however, the parking brake still does not hold the Jeep in place very well. They adjusted the equalizer and it looks good, but when I push the pedal in all the way, it slows the Jeep down and does stop it somewhat after a few seconds, but it only stops it once it hits flat ground. This issue is very annoying, as I've now had everything replaced besides brake lines and the equalizer. The brakes work well so brake lines aren't the issue. Maybe the cables are stretched. Both cables do move when the brake is pressed. Is changing the cables an easy fix?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
The greatest amount of stopping power comes from your front brakes.
Simply stating that the brakes work well doesn't mean the back brakes are properly adjusted.
The next step for you is to make sure that your rear brakes are properly adjusted.

I had two brake spoons in my tool kit and when I went to adjust the brakes on my camping trailer I couldn't find either one. A new brake spoon at NAPA was $7.29 + tax.

If you are unsure exactly how to adjust the brakes, I suggest that you find a post by MudMagnetYJ and look in his signature. There you will find a link labeled "Service manuals". Click on that link and find the Factory Service Manual for your year Jeep. Click on that manual and look on the left side of the screen at the menu. The brake section is about half way down.
Not only will it tell you how to adjust your rear brakes, it'll tell you how to replace the cables if need be.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The greatest amount of stopping power comes from your front brakes.
Simply stating that the brakes work well doesn't mean the back brakes are properly adjusted.
The next step for you is to make sure that your rear brakes are properly adjusted.

I had two brake spoons in my tool kit and when I went to adjust the brakes on my camping trailer I couldn't find either one. A new brake spoon at NAPA was $7.29 + tax.

If you are unsure exactly how to adjust the brakes, I suggest that you find a post by MudMagnetYJ and look in his signature. There you will find a link labeled "Service manuals". Click on that link and find the Factory Service Manual for your year Jeep. Click on that manual and look on the left side of the screen at the menu. The brake section is about half way down.
Not only will it tell you how to adjust your rear brakes, it'll tell you how to replace the cables if need be.

Good Luck, L.M.
Well I just finished replacing both cables. Nothing. I'm too frustrated trying to fix this stupid thing so I'm just going to do what I did before; leave it in gear and forget the stupid parking brake. Unless you have any other input? Everything has been changed and adjusted but it doesn't work at all.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is the cross bar below the wheel cylinder install correctly? My parking brake wouldn't work and when I pulled the rear drums off they were missing. The wide ends opening goes over the brake shoe and the lever attached to the cable for the parking brake..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts