Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. There is a 1990 YJ for sale in my town. It has the 4.2 I6 carb engine, rebuilt only 300 miles ago, and the 5 speed manual trans was also rebuilt at that time. The guy selling it owns a small car lot and doesn't know too much about it because he is not the original owner. That is why I am posting here. I test drove it, and while it is a little slow, the engine sounds and runs great, the trans shifts well, 4 hi and lo work fine, and the steering is very solid with no excessive play. The body and frame are in good condition with only a little rust, and the paint job is recent. The tires are 39" Iroks. Hopefully you guys can answer a few questions for me and tell me a few things about this YJ that I don't know. What axles does it have? How much and what type of lift (body or susp.) does it have? Does it look mechanically fit to drive around town as well as to work/school daily? The seller is asking $9,800 but I may be able to get it for a little less. Over all, is it a good buy? What else should I look for before buying it?

(Pictures posted below)

·
Registered
188 Posts
$10 grand? I'm a Jeep newb so my opinion might not matter much, but I wouldn't touch that Jeep. It has been heavily customized and you don't know what you are walking into. No way is it worth the asking price. I am curious how the seller calculated it.

I think it has way to much lift to use as a daily driver. You mentioned that it is slow which makes me think the gearing is off, though with that much lift, who knows.

There are just way to many unknowns to spend that kind of money on a heavily modified Jeep.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It has dana 30 front and a dana 35 rear. Who knows what the lift is. Doesn't look to bad but it isn't the best u can get. I say buy something less complicated and more stalk so u can upgrade it urself. Plus if it is on 39 that means ur axles r going to be weak so I wld be cautious bout that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Way to high on price. Looks nice due to recent paint but thats purely cosmetic. Definitely not be something I would be jumping into. Is there a warranty on the rebuilt motor and tranny?

·
Registered
157 Posts
39" tires on a D30 and 35?????? i'd stay away from that at all possible...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
U can get a TJ for about the same price .. And u should get something as stock as possible.. And that way u know what u have... Otherwise.. Who knows..

·
Registered
717 Posts
Offer

I was going to say, offer him $3,500 but I wouldn't even pay that unless I was REALLY desperate for some particular item it had.

Do some research on Craig's list and see. You go go to Google and type in "
site:craigslist.org YJ Wrangler" and see what you find around the country.

You can buy an "EXCELLENT" one for in the $5,000 range.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Definitely too high a price and with those axles, no matter how much they've been reinforced, you're asking for trouble with those tires.

The amount of wear that's already been put on those axles is going to cause problems even if you went down to 31-33 inch tires.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would say that is a decent looking jeep, but it isn't $10k decent. I would say $4k and spend the rest putting some d60s under it. Otherwise, keep your eyes on CL and you should be able to pick up a stock yj for around $2500. You can get a nice, stock looking one for around $4500 and a well built one for around $6k.

I would definitley not spend $10k on a yj that doesn't have a professionally installed v8 and a high end suspension system in it, and even then I would have to think long and hard about it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
price is way too high, looks clean though

bumpers look custom

fuel filter looks nasty

SOA lift plus who knows how much spring lift

looks like D30 up front, can't tell what the rear is from the pics

no way in hell would I use it as a DD, maybe 8 mpg?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
MVintherTJ said:
If I got D60s front and rear, would that solve the axel problem? And also, what gearing would I need for those 39" tires?

Will these fit the Jeep? http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/pts/2784061349.html
One ton axles would be recommended for 39" tires. Gearing will vary depending on your tcase setup but I think 5.38's would be close. 5.13's would probably be ok with a 4:1 case.

For $10k there is a lot out there. You could also pick up a yj with a 6 cyl and do whatever and probably be under that $10k budget too....if you stay on leafs anyway. But all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd stay away from it as well. Looks nice but I'd pay no more than 4,500 for it.

No proof of rebuilt motor
Too big of tires on stock axles
Too big of tires on stock 3.07 ring and pinion

In my own opinion the biggest you should go on d30 d35 axles with 4.10 gears are 33 inch tires

The Dana 35 rear axle is crap

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Yeah, keep away unless you can get it for around $2000.

And to further re-enforce what has been said... I broke my Dana 35 on 29" tires going around a shallow corner on the road.

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What would be a good and easy axel swap? 8.8? D44? D60?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts