Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an after market wiring diagram for a YJ ('95) radio? The previous owner made a mess and so far it hasn't proven to be just matching up the colors like in my Ford.

Also does anyone know how to "bench test" a head unit? I am taking for granted that the head unit may be dead it is a "dual" or some piece of junk.

Thank you

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
No wiring diagram but speaker wires should be easy, usually 2 colored with 1 having a stripe. Bench test even easier, red wire to + and black to - on battery...if that doesn't power it up try adding yellow to + and check the inline fuse(it should have one). Some units the fuse is on the wire itself and I've noticed newer ones have them in the back of the unit itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Batjac

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Maybe just forget the factory wires n start from scratch....

Otherwise I have never yet found a vehicle that I couldn't come up w wiring diagrams via a google search.

·
Super Moderator
12,724 Posts
Mine was cobbled up so bad that I just started from scratch like Gottagofast suggests.
Plus, I bought a Smittybilt metal radio console and mounted my radio in there. I had to get a longer antenna cable but the installation was straightforward.
The biggest pain was replacing the speakers in the dash. I did it without loosening the dash, but if I had to do it again, I'd fold my windshield forward and loosen the dash.

I usually listen to talk radio so the dash speakers work well enough for me.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
+1 scrap that thing....I know you can find the color codes that go the radio from the harness online...I just put boat radio in mine...figured it might hold up better when I get caught in the rain with the top off...I did use my old mounting bracket from the factory radio...on the front speaker change...do yourself a favor and pay the little extra for the kicker kit that comes with the template to drill out the top outside bolt on each speaker...you can then bolt that corner down with a screw from the outside the dash...you see the little screw after install but you dont notice...plus swapping out speakers now takes about 10 minutes per side...Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I scrap the rats nest back there, how do I start to wire in the new radio? I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to electronics. I was also able to test the head with the battery and it kicked on.

Also, the radio has a fuse on the back. Will I still need an inline fuse?

I'm aware that I need to hook up those 3 leads (red, yellow black) and the rest are speaker wires. Just not sure what goes to what.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Never bypass a fuse..... it's there to protect your radio, wiring, and jeep

Attachments

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Also, the radio has a fuse on the back. Will I still need an inline fuse?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You only need the (1) fuse

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wires are not those colors. I was wondering if/ where I should splice since my wires are so thoroughly cluster F***ed. If I had red, black and yellow leads showing with a volt meter I could figure it out.

Edit: To clarify, I have done radio installs before. I'm just fighting with the PO's hack job and have no idea what the hell goes to what. I want to entirely bypass his mess. When I got it the radio didn't work. So he did something wrong somewhere. I don't want to trouble shoot his mess.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would run 12v to battery, run new wire for switched 12v(you will need voltmeter for this). Turn your ignition to acc and find a wire that goes from 0v-12v, then ground wire to tub or good source. Halfway done. Run new speaker wires to dash, sound bar, etc.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If you want to be able to turn your radio on without the key, run your switched wire with your constant hot wire- just remember to make sure it's off when you park it for extended periods.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I thought you already decided to bypass the stock stuff....
The diagram was for the wiring coming out of an aftermarket stereo....

You would need to locate the constant and switched power sources and a good ground.... then run new wiring to the speakers....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought you already decided to bypass the stock stuff....
The diagram was for the wiring coming out of an aftermarket stereo....

You would need to locate the constant and switched power sources and a good ground.... then run new wiring to the speakers....
Now for arguments sake, here's what I have that appears to be factory.

From top left to right then bottom left to right.

brown with yellow stripe
solid green
pink
red
purple blue with white stripe
----
brown with blue stripe
brown with red stripe
orange with white stripe
orange
blue with red stripe
blue with orange stripe

Can anyone identify these?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Forget the wires and start from scratch. Its easy enough to figure out from the harness that comes off the radio. I even added rear 5x9s and 6in kickers with pods. I also have a sub in the "trunk" that I can take it when I need the space.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts