Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

1995 YJ sport here. Vehicle didn't come with any recovery points.

My club requires a front and rear recover point. I've got 2 on the front bumper (stock bumper), but for the life of me, I can't figure out a good way to mount a hook in the rear. I'd love it if people posted their ideas.

Note: I don't tow, and would like to keep my stock bumperettes. Just need a solid point to recover from in the rear that hopefully won't mess with the shackles or cause wheel rub.

I noticed there is a hole on the underside of the frame, just in front of the left bumperette. Has anyone mounted there? Did you just drill the other hole? Use self-tapping screws?

Pics appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
NO SELF TAPPING SCREWS! you are wanting a recovery point. You want it to be the strongest thing on your jeep! If not done properly, and someone needs to snatch you out, and your recovery point rips from your frame and goes flying it could kills someone!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO SELF TAPPING SCREWS! you are wanting a recovery point. You want it to be the strongest thing on your jeep! If not done properly, and someone needs to snatch you out, and your recovery point rips from your frame and goes flying it could kills someone!
Any ideas, then? Was planning on grade 8 bolts to put it on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Tow hooks are best when bolted to the frame ... just find a location that works on the rear of your frame. The bumperettes kinda get in the way, which is why most people replace them with something substantial.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Must have washers and nuts. You want them them to be super strong. Why dont you add a receiver hitch? Usually can be found on craigs list for less then a hundred bucks. Mine has 6 mounting bolts and is strong! Also it doesnt hang very low. Its just under the rear crossmember.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Adding a stronger bumper would be a good start, but would only be half of the equation.

The other half is welding in frame tie ins on both sides.

The rear frame member is extremely thin and weak. Tie ins ensure that the bumper is actually tied directly to the frame.

Otherwise, you could add a class II receiver hitch, and use it as your recovery point. But those things are horrible for your ground clearance and departure angle...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Until I got a new bumper I used the hole in the frame you mention. It is a threaded hole the same size as the front bumper/frame holes, I'd use that hole and drill the rear hole and add a washer and nut. And yes, always grade 8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts