Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '89 YJ(my first Jeep). That I am going thru a little at a time. I have 2 boys who ride in the back seat. I'd like to convert the lap belts only to 3 point should belts(You know, safety and such). I've scoured the interwebs, from top to bottom, and haven't found a peep on this.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
158 Posts
You need to find "family" style roll bar. Came on 92 and later, I think. It will have the 3rd point for the shoulder belts.
Correct, the '92-'95 "family bar" with the squared off rear hoop has the attachment points for the rear passenger shoulder belts.

I have seen shoulder belts attached to the earlier "sports bars", but those were definitely add-ons, and looked awkward IMHO.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm subscribing to this thread because I am in the exact same boat.
I didn't research enough before making my purchase. Wondering now if there's a fix to this problem besides installing a family bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check post #13...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/1992-yj-roll-bar-question-1668442.html

Also, you can see where the shoulder belt mounts are welded into the rear of the "family bar" in the pic below - that's the reason they changed the shape of the rear bars. I'm not sure there is any solution to the problem, other than swapping out the rear hoop, because the sport bars don't allow you to position the shoulder belt mounts high enough to be effective.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will also need to drill two holes in the tub, one on each side of the wheel wells, because pre '92 wranglers did not have the holes in the tub for the belt screw.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
You will also need to drill two holes in the tub, one on each side of the wheel wells, because pre '92 wranglers did not have the holes in the tub for the belt screw.

The seat belt retractors are mounted on the roll bar

·
Registered
42 Posts
And the retractor ia located at the bottom of the roll bar..that is one point...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Yeah, 2 points are on the roll bar and and the third is for the clicker mounted in the middle of the floor. So i don't know why you would have to drill extra holes to swap to a family bar it should be a bolt on deal with no holes to drill.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, 2 points are on the roll bar and and the third is for the clicker mounted in the middle of the floor. So i don't know why you would have to drill extra holes to swap to a family bar it should be a bolt on deal with no holes to drill.
The bottom part of the belt has a third bolt that goes into the tub...check the picture..three bolts are 7, 4 and 3....drilling, or welding if you prefer not to cut the tub is required at 2...on both sides since these were not present on pre '92. Wranglers

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
The bottom part of the belt has a third bolt that goes into the tub...check the picture..three bolts are 7, 4 and 3....drilling, or welding if you prefer not to cut the tub is required at 2...on both sides since these were not present on pre '92. Wranglers

Aww, crap your right... my bad. I took the seat and belts out of my YJ a long time ago, i would like to get rid of my family bar and put a sport bar in it. I think i still have the seat belts in a box somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have two small kids that love to ride in back. I have a '94, though, so I already have the shoulder belts. Even with those, it's not optimal, though. My twins are only 7 so they still need boosters. They can hardly reach between to buckle themselves with such a narrow seat width. It was a PITA trying to find 2 boosters that would span such a small seat, too. I am thinking of getting the bar that spans the back and tethering 4 points for them. Anyone seen/done this?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
4 point harnesses and booster seats are probably not a good combination

1 - 16 of 16 Posts