Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this `95 YJ up last weekend with the goal of turning it into a more friendly DD while still maintaining it's abilities on the trail. It's got some good parts on it already but I'll be going through the whole thing and upgrading/replacing stuff based on how unsafe or worn out everything is.

Specs as it sits:
-HP44, 5.13's, Spartan Locker (I think)
-9", 5.13's, spool, Alloy USA shafts
-SOA with Wagoneer springs for a small WB stretch
-4.0/AX15 in place of the original 2.5/5speed
-Almost new 36x12.50x15 TSLs

A quick test drive revealed that the right front caliper was sticking badly so that's the side that I tore into first. Some other interesting stuff I found included a missing spindle stud and a very weird high steer setup. :rolleyes:

The heims are all for 3/4" bolts but all the hardware is 5/8", the drag link was hooked up to the rear hole on the high steer arm, and the tie rod mount on the knuckle is still reamed for a TRE but had a 5/8" bolt through it.

Sorry about the cell phone pictures. I'll keep this updated as I make more progress.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the fancy 5/8" bolt, 3/4" heim combo. This was bolted to the knuckle that has the factory TRE taper... :shaking: I also found that the drag link to pitman arm connection was only finger tight! :eek:

This should be enough to prevent axle wrap, right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got nothing done this past weekend since we drove up to Charlotte for the race. Had a great time since my brother hooked us up with pit passes and pretty good seats as well! :smokin: Here's the pre-gaming shot outside our hotel... I'm the ugly one with the mustache in uniform.

Today I pulled the diff cover and did some running around chasing tools/parts, so I didn't get a whole lot accomplished. The gears look alright and the lunchbox locker looks to be very new. Any guesses which brand it is? I didn't see any markings on anything except the gears.

My rod end hardware came in from Barnes 4WD so all I need to finish up the front end is the new spindles that are on the way from Hellfire Fabworks (billybob13). Thanks for the awesome price! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to go out and buy a spindle nut socket to get the left side hub taken apart. Remember the water that came out when I pulled the locking hub off? Well, it did a number on the inner bearing and race. The left spindle looked a little better than the drivers side so it'll get saved as a trail spare.

Here are the short and long side shafts. long on the left/top, short on the right/bottom

Do I have two different style shafts here? One has two snap ring grooves and the other has only one. Also, I had a hell of a time getting the short side shaft through the knuckle. It was a VERY tight fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not much progress today, but I did get my shed organized enough to unload all the extra crap that came with the Jeep. Oh, and my replacement spindles arrived but there was only one in the box. :rolleyes:

I won't be keeping any of this stuff, so make me an offer or at least let me know what it usually sells for. :flipoff2:

YJ Sliding half door uppers, one of them has a busted window with plexi replacement panel

TJ soft uppers

Bestop bikini top and tonneau cover

Soft top rails

Stuff without pics: NP241C transfer case and a Jensen marine grade stereo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great! You got a beast there for sure!
Thanks man! I'm hoping to get the HP44 put back together this weekend and then probably tear into the Ford 9". Some water came out of the front end when I was pulling it apart, so I suspect the rear will be the same way. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Today I pulled the diff cover and did some running around chasing tools/parts, so I didn't get a whole lot accomplished. The gears look alright and the lunchbox locker looks to be very new. Any guesses which brand it is? I didn't see any markings on anything except the gears.

My rod end hardware came in from Barnes 4WD so all I need to finish up the front end is the new spindles that are on the way from Hellfire Fabworks (billybob13). Thanks for the awesome price! :flipoff2:
That's a Yukon Spartan locker. You can tell because of the small holes by where the springs/dowels go in. That's where a small wire goes to ease installation which are pulled out once in the carrier. The gears are Yukon Dana 44 5.13 gears. R for Reverse cut since you've got a high pinion axle.

Definitely a WTF moment on that steering though. Wow...

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Great start! I am glad you inspected everything when you did. Boy that could have been super nasty on the highway. Keep posting.

Take care,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a Yukon Spartan locker. You can tell because of the small holes by where the springs/dowels go in. That's where a small wire goes to ease installation which are pulled out once in the carrier. The gears are Yukon Dana 44 5.13 gears. R for Reverse cut since you've got a high pinion axle.

Definitely a WTF moment on that steering though. Wow...
Thanks for the heads up!

I got new bearings put in the left hub assembly today. The outer race was practically welded to the hub and had a ton of heat discoloration, but I managed to get it out. Of course, Advance Auto sold me the wrong hub seal so I've got to go exchange that tomorrow.

I need to find a 3/4" drill bit to bore out my knuckles and a 5/8" bit to do the pitman arm. That should be just about everything that needs to be done to the front axle before I can reassemble everything.

The new spindle bearing kit should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This evening my wife gave me a hand pulling the knuckles off in order to press in the missing stud that each one was missing. I'm guessing that the PO changed out the ball joints with some ghetto engineering and needed to remove the bottom-most stud from each knuckle in order to fit some ridiculous tooling.

Only one of the 4 joints has the snap ring in place. :shaking: The joints felt tight when you moved the knuckle while it was still attached, but as soon as we had it loose you could tell they were shot. No grease to be found anywhere and the ball was crazy loose in the socket.

I managed to bang up one of the knuckles a little bit during removal but I think it'll be fine. Now to decide what D44 balljoints to use. :laughing: Has anybody come out with something worth using besides Napa Gold or Spicer?

Everyone loves pics!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got about 45 minutes worth of work done tonight, just long enough to press out the old ball joints. Found out that the PO used ball joints with splined bodies rather than smooth ones like OEM. I almost pulled the trigger on a NICE set of Synergy joints from PolyPerformance but $250 is hard to swallow for a set of ball joints.

I settled on XRF's after reading a bunch of reviews and finding a good price on them (about $75 shipped). They're splined as well so I shouldn't have to worry about any slop that could have possibly come from trying to put a new smooth body joint in.

(obligatory work pic)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the new axle shaft "hardware" installed today. :thumb: I ordered two of the SKF BK1 Bearing Kits which replace the spindle bearing and 4 other seals and spacers that go on the stub shaft.

Here are some pics I found detailing the order of the process, then a final pic of mine ready to go.

The XRF ball joints should be here tomorrow, so I'll be able to get the whole front end put together this weekend! :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Over the weekend my wife helped me install the new XRF ball joints. I ground down the inside of the knuckle where the upper ball joint sit before installing them. This enabled me to have a snap ring on the upper and lower joints.

Of course the ball joint press I rented from Advance Auto was a piece of garbage, so the BFH got a nice workout. :facepalm: Here's my better half cleaning up the bore of the knuckle before putting in the new parts.

And the part numbers in case anyone is looking for them. These came from thetireclub.com. That weird Kawasaki green color is covering almost every bolt-on part of the Jeep. I'm hitting most of hit with Rustoleum gloss black for a more "stock" look. :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting back to work on this thing after taking a week or so of for Thanksgiving. I've got a temporary assignment with the Navy for a couple months that has me getting off work around noon every day! :D Should give me plenty of Jeep time.

Whoever originally built this YJ didn't have a clue about mechanical competence. Today I found that the transmission mount isn't even bolted to the skid, the t-case is held to the AX15 by only 1 of the 6 studs/bolts, and the t-case shifter is zip-tied in place. :banghead::facepalm:

So to start the process of getting the skid back together I ordered a 2" drop skid from Barnes4WD using their Cyber-Monday coupon! $120 shipped for a 1/4 skid is a good price to me. I'm probably going to use the Novak t-case shifter to accommodate the raised drivetrain unless I can find a stock YJ shifter.

Here's the hack skid/mount, wallowed out holes and all.

·
Registered
591 Posts
yeah that thing looks sick, cant wait to see it when its done! oh and are you trying to get rid of those hard half-door uppers? i have soft uppers and they are a pain.. flappin around when i get to 60 lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also found that the NP231 front yoke had about 1/2" of play.... because the nut was only halfway tight!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts