Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sbc in my jeep. Its already had an electric holley fuel pump in it for carbed vehicles. I ran the model # and besides me complaining about it. Turns out it's the #1 complaint with this pump. It's to with the motor whine in the pump. As believe it or not its quite loud you can hear the pump while driving. Also it takes away the cool factor of the lumpy idle when you hear the whiiiiiine of fuel pump running.

Right now its externally mounted on the frame rail.

Here are my options what would you chose?

-Modern holley equivlant
-Edelbrock electric
-Mechanical fuel pump

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you plan to stick with a carb. Then I would use a mechanical pump. Easy to install and replace.

If you want an electronic pump. Then I would install a stock pump from a later year into the tank. I'm assuming you're Jeep originally had a carb as well. I have an 89 with a SBC and Holley's sniper fuel injection. I installed a whole new pump and sending unit from a later year. The tanks where the same so it was easy. I did have a carb on it for a while and just had to add a pressure reducing valve made for carbs with a fuel return line. It worked well enough.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Assuming you have an older sbc w a place for it the stock mechanical pump bolted to the block is all you need... cheap easy and reliable

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 95 frame. So fuel injected. The original pump is in the tank. Whoever had this before me put a hole in the bottom of the tank with a bulkhead fitting. That's where the pump sucks from. It never occurred to me to use a old yj carbed fuel pump. It's simple and cheap if found used. Is the tank any different the fuel injected models? As I'm going to have to replace the tank to use it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a 95 frame. So fuel injected. The original pump is in the tank. Whoever had this before me put a hole in the bottom of the tank with a bulkhead fitting. That's where the pump sucks from. It never occurred to me to use a old yj carbed fuel pump. It's simple and cheap if found used. Is the tank any different the fuel injected models? As I'm going to have to replace the tank to use it.
If you used a mechanical fuel pump. Then it would have to be one for a SBC. The old Jeep's with carbs used a mechanical pump that wouldn't fit on a SBC.

Sense it's a 95, if the stock pump in the tank is still functional then you just need a pressure reducer specific for carbs. Holley sells one. It's adjustable to the pressure you need.

As noted above. A new mechanical fuel pump is easiest and probably cheapest. And will be quite. Any electric pump outside of the tank will be noisy and prone to failure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts