Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Summer is here so it's time for the soft top / no top on the Jeep. The question I have for you guys is having to do with theft. I have speakers in my Jeep. NICE speakers. Full Kicker system. 2 6.5" in the front, 2 4.5" in the back and an 8" sub in the center console. I am not concerned about the center console subwoofer since it is very securely bolted in. However my other speakers I feel like somone could easily steal if necessary. I live in a pretty good area where I don't see major theft being an issue but it is more of a precautionary measure. WOuld simply bolting in the speakers be enough? Is there other options I should explore? I am really not looking for buying new enclosures for my speakers. I plan on completely redoing the interior this week so any advice on securing the speakers please let me know.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
There aren’t many options apart from buying Tuffy enclosures

This is why I went out of my way to utilize the stock sizes, and a sub I could hide under the rear seat.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
My thought process on thieves.

If I want your speakers, I will get them...
If I can't see them, I won't want them...
If they are strapped down or not easily removed, I may still take them, but may think twice about it...

I run around with a bikini top at most. leave a couple empty coffee cups in the cup holder and nothing else really left in sight. Don't have really high end speakers, but I've been known to leave a small DeWalt toolbag on the passenger seat with a hoody thrown on top and haven't had anybody Jack anything yet, Mainly because It doesn't look like I have anything to take. In an open Jeep, it's pretty much disguise or bulletproof security. I go with disguise...

Reactions: LightsOutLacy50

·
Registered
886 Posts
Select increments makes mod pods and versa pods that are pretty nice and probably would not be all that easy to remove. But like has been said above, if someone is really determined they’re still going to get them. My sub is under my seat and completely out of sight, and there’s so little head room under there that it would take somebody a really long time to get it removed even if they knew it was there. I upgraded the dash speakers with stock size Kickers, so they are safe. The pods on the back wheel wells are the only things that are really only open, But they are small, tucked under the rollbar, and blend in so they’re not immediately obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Hide em from sight... run plain or stock looming grills
Hide em from hearing.... don't drive around ur neighborhood cranked up advertising and same in town... turn it down a couple blocks before parking in the alley behind bobo's bbq

Don't make em TOO hard to steal... you're better off getting a couple hundo in speakers jacked than your whole jeep destroyed by a thief TRYING to jack em...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Don't make em TOO hard to steal... you're off getting a couple hundo in speakers jacked than your whole jeep destroyed by a thief TRYING to jack em...

Excellent advice. This is why I never lock my doors. I’d much rather have somebody open the doors than slice up my top.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Select increments makes mod pods and versa pods that are pretty nice and probably would not be all that easy to remove. But like has been said above, if someone is really determined they’re still going to get them. My sub is under my seat and completely out of sight, and there’s so little head room under there that it would take somebody a really long time to get it removed even if they knew it was there. I upgraded the dash speakers with stock size Kickers, so they are safe. The pods on the back wheel wells are the only things that are really only open, But they are small, tucked under the rollbar, and blend in so they’re not immediately obvious.

I'm currently running all of the Select Increments enclosures for my speakers. I think I am just paranoid personally and once hopefully people have some respect for the 30 year old Jeep

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent advice. This is why I never lock my doors. I’d much rather have somebody open the doors than slice up my top.

My locks don't even work so I guess I'm already on the right track lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thought process on thieves.

If I want your speakers, I will get them...
If I can't see them, I won't want them...
If they are strapped down or not easily removed, I may still take them, but may think twice about it...

I run around with a bikini top at most. leave a couple empty coffee cups in the cup holder and nothing else really left in sight. Don't have really high end speakers, but I've been known to leave a small DeWalt toolbag on the passenger seat with a hoody thrown on top and haven't had anybody Jack anything yet, Mainly because It doesn't look like I have anything to take. In an open Jeep, it's pretty much disguise or bulletproof security. I go with disguise...
I agree I am definitely going to have to become a master of disguise here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That alarm that says, "Back Off. You are too close." Then the sirens whale.
LMAO I know exactly what your are talking about. That companies shop is actually 30 minutes away from me and I've seen the demos it's kind of crazy but it's CRAZY expensive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
LMAO I know exactly what your are talking about. That companies shop is actually 30 minutes away from me and I've seen the demos it's kind of crazy but it's CRAZY expensive.
You can add a cheap proxy sensor to just about any car alarm. I have maybe 60.00 into a cheap alarm and infrared sensor. Sensor is placed on tran tunnel in front of gear shifter. mine just goes off if someone reaches in but you can hook it up to give a warning first.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Thieves don't have respect for mother theresa let alone your jeep....

The nail that sticks out gets hammered..... Don't be that nail...

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I haven't heard one of them since the late 80's when I worked the bar scene in Austin. All the Daddy's boys that went to UT had them on their fancy little cars all along 6th street. This was waaaaaay before 6th turned into Disneyland.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
There's a Disneyland in Texas???

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have respect for and like Tuffy products. In my 95 YJ, I have the Tuffy Glove Box, Tuffy center console, and Tuffy speaker enclosures above each rear wheel wells. I have 6 by 9s in the rear wheel enclosures, and while I like the concept, and even with Tuffy slanting in the 6 by 9s, they end up getting muffled a bit because of their locations and the front seats. All right, I am off topic.

My point of bringing up Tuffy products is even in an open Wrangler there are products available where you can secure items and keep them from view. I was amazed how Tuffy could blend their products into the interior where they don't stand out but at the same time provide very secure storage opportunities, and no, I don't work for Tuffy, and yes, they are a bit proud of them, but after using them for the past 6 years or so, I still look at each one of them as good purchases.

But as previously stated in this thread, we shouldn't be tempting anyone with leaving stuff laying around unsecured.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I carry insurance for those reasons and others with the documentation to prove everything that's been done to and carried in my heap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts