Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My serpentine belt came off and I think the idle pulley did as well but when I try to put the belt on it is way too long. Not sure exactly where the idle pulley is supposed to attach to. Its an '88 4.2l straight 6.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
it bolts to the front of the a/c mount. looking from the front it is on the left and is the top right hand bolt hole closest to the thermostat. when bolted on, the idler sits on top of the sepentine belt.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
some pics

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are pics of mine. Mine doesn't have a/c. Don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe I'm just not sure how to run the belt. pulleys 1.jpg

pulleys 2.jpg

pulleys 3.jpg

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
google "jeep 4.2 belt routing". there are many sites with diagrams. chrysler has one with 12 diagrams or so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I pulled this picture and I think it is what is missing. Problem is that I do not know what the mount is called and am having a hard time finding it.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
ok now im looking at all these pictures and im wondering why my power steering resevoir is mounted to the fan shround and not the pump. any one else ever seen that

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
mine is nounted to the fan shroud. look at my second pic. mine is a 4.0 ho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a '92 yj, and when the temperature heads below zero the belt/fan area on the jeep makes a screeching sound until the jeep warms up. I was told this was the idoler pulley not having compatible grease for the cold. But I can't help but think there is more to this the. Just a pulley. Any thoughts?

Could it be a failing thermo-fan assembly?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
spray a little belt dressing on the belt. i just did mine. we were in the teens for the first time in years. it helped mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MMata77 said:
ok now im looking at all these pictures and im wondering why my power steering resevoir is mounted to the fan shround and not the pump. any one else ever seen that
NAVYCHIEF said:
spray a little belt dressing on the belt. i just did mine. we were in the teens for the first time in years. it helped mine.
I have done the belt dressing route on my old belt with little elimination for the squeal. I had my belt replaced about 3 years ago with a Kevlar one that no longer needed dressing, and at the time had the shop look at everything they couldn't find any problems. And yet when the temptation gets below -10 something squeals. Some have speculated that the clutch on the fan requires changing, but then would it have issues with over cooling during winter? It is crazy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just replaced the belt on my yj a few weeks ago. I too have a squeal till the jeep is warmed up. Its coming from the idle pully but that is brand new too.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Check out harmonic balancer if it's ok. Mine went bad not a whole lot about 1/16" or less and it started making squeaking noise. I thought it was an alternator bearing, pump, idler, you name it. At the end of the day check out your belt for excessive wear or glossy spots, that'd be a sign.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts