Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The leaf springs on my YJ look straight.....I think these big shackles may be part of the problem. They were already installed when I bought the jeep. Would the boomerang shackles help the leaf springs have any curve to them?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
If they installed a shackle lift this could be your problem, provide us some photos and we will be able to better assist.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Shackles have nothing to do with the arch of the spring. You have stock springs and bigger than stock tires so someone threw lift shackles on it to get it up in the air cheap.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
“Death stilts”

I’m afraid they used them to allow those 17” wheels to fit, you have some work ahead of you.

At this point you have to decide if you wish to keep the wheels, if so you should buy a proper lift kit

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You need lift springs and normal shackles

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shackles have nothing to do with the arch of the spring. You have stock springs and bigger than stock tires so someone threw lift shackles on it to get it up in the air cheap.
I didnt know if the boomerang shackles where shorter if they would put any arch in the spring.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Stock shackles are 4" center bolt hole to center bolt hole. You should never go beyond 5"

Reactions: pc1p

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
The way I see it you have two options.

1- Buy stock sized tires & wheels and a set of stock length shackles
OR
2- Keep the existing tires & wheels and buy a 2 1/2" lift kit with stock length shackles.

What you have right now are called "Death Stilts" for a reason.

It's not uncommon for the springs in these old heaps to loose their arch. IRQ advises a Rubicon Express spring kit. I think that's a very good suggestion. Most posters here will recommend staying away from the cheaper spring lift kits.

Once you have your new tires and shackles or your new spring lift kit with new shackles installed, I suggest that you find a 4X4 shop that is experienced in aligning lifted vehicles and have them do an alignment.
Ask for a before and after printout. If they can't provide one, find a shop that can.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am in the same boat. PO installed shackle lift plus body lift and did it pretty half a$$ed.

I would go stock shackles, lift springs, and a body lift to fit those wheels/ tires. When I go through my set up, I will be selling off the ~2" body lift...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Don’t do a body lift. Just get a Rubicon Express 2.5” lift kit or an Old Man Emu. And stock size 4” shackles and you will be way safer and it’ll drive and steer much better.

Those tall/long front shackles are severely throwing your caster off. I bet your steering is very twitchy and it wonders all over the place.

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
291 Posts
30 years ago I bought a 79 CJ5 that had crazy long shackles on it and 33 x 12:50's. Those CJ5's with wide tires were all over the road anyway but the shackles made it darn right dangerous!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is there a big difference in parts needed between a 2.5" and a 4" lift?

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
A lift can cause drive shaft vibrations. Our YJs have steep driveshaft angles and short driveshafts.
A 2 1/2" lift can usually get away with a transfer case drop and/or a motor mount lift.
A 4" lift will probably require a slip yoke eliminator (SYE).

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts