Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 YJ with a soft top, factory hardware. I am planning on taking a little vacation and on the way back picking up a CJ hard top.
I've never had a hard top. What will I need to remove from my jeep to fit the hard top? All factory soft top hardware? Window channel? Also, what do I need to purchase to attach the hard top? Just the screws?
Sorry, I'm just going to be 700 miles from home and want the least amount of surprises possible.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I always tought that a cj7 hard top would fit on a YJ, but never took real good look at it.

You will need to remove top windshield soft top track, all the side tub railing and bow, if you have half soft doord with square upper corner, they will not fit with the hard top, so you will need steel doors or after market round upper corner doors.

I have a clean YJ hard top that I would let go for 40,00$ negociable with rear window wiper, defrost and good struts.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Lucky's location shows under his name. (Charlevoix, Quebec)

You will need to remove all the soft top cannels around the tub and top of windshield.
Your half door upper wont fit the door opening and will have to remain off.
The hard top SHOULD come with the inner attaching strip across the windshield and will need to have some larger hex head sheetmetal bolts drilled into the windshield.

There are a handful of bolts and "nutplates" that hold the sides to the tub. I think that the ones that hold the soft top rails are the same. Pull one out and check it. The bolt should be about a 5/16-18x1(Torx) Instead of a nut, there should be a rectangle plate (1x1/2) with a threaded hole under the tub rail.

The nutplate is the most important item to have as the bolts can be sourced at any hardware store.

Also that windshield tie plate strip. Without it, the front of the top will want to lift while driving and be a general pain in the ears. You will need a drill/nutdriver to make holes in your windshield frame to attach the front. Do it right the first time as the holes need to be right or there will be problems ahead.

Oh,... make sure the windshield gaskets are present. Its been 20 years since I had my 87 with a CJ top, but I recall three pieces like the YJ...long foam strip and two complex corners

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Forgot to mention, there is a difference in the way the back hatch and tailgate close between the CJ style and YJ style. You need to master the CJ/YJ hatch technique. It involves nearly closing the hatch then nearly closing the gate so the top of the gate is under the hatch bottom and then closing them and nearly the same time with the gate just beating the hatch closed. If you don't have a spare tire, then you don't need to worry, just close the gate first and open it last.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you DRED, I am also getting a set of full CJ doors. They are early doors so I will have to fab up some strike plates.
I'm going to order in a seal kit and new bolts to take with me just to be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts