Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
8.8s are easily found with 4.10s. What matters is what gears you have in the D30. They'll need to match.
In my experience, Explorers with 4.10 8.8s are pretty uncommon and difficult to find. It took me 2 or 3 tries to find one at my local pull-a-part. YMMV

·
Registered
714 Posts
Gotcha, that all makes sense. Would the 8.8 have to be re-geared to the 4.10 or 4.54?
It may take some searching to find an 8.8 with 4.10 gears. Be sure to find an 8.8 with disc brakes. Do not spend any money on the Dana 35. You can fix other things for now and swap the rear axle when time/money permit.

If you have to regear the front axle to 4.56, the 8.8 Ford Explorer axle never came with 4.56. There are a few places to buy 8.8 conversion hardware. I bought mine from MORE (Mountain Offroad). If your local preferred shop has what you need then use them. Previous owner of MORE created the 8.8 to Jeep swap.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
In my experience, Explorers with 4.10 8.8s are pretty uncommon and difficult to find. It took me 2 or 3 tries to find one at my local pull-a-part. YMMV
Guess it depends where you're at. The first junk yard I went to buy one at had 4 of them with 4.10s. 3 with limited slip and 1 open diff, ranging from 70,000-120,000 miles. $200 each.

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That's the perfect axle to match up with a 4.10 8.8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WookieDave, how'd it turn out? I'm in the planning stage of doing a SOA on my "new to me" 91 YJ and this post has a lot of good info. I'm like you, I want to be able to go wheeling but still want a decent highway ride. do you have any tips or lessons learned you can share?
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm still in the planning stage/gathering $... Hopefully the ol' work bonus comes in soon...

I will definitely post pics and updates as it goes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It may take some searching to find an 8.8 with 4.10 gears. Be sure to find an 8.8 with disc brakes. Do not spend any money on the Dana 35. You can fix other things for now and swap the rear axle when time/money permit.

If you have to regear the front axle to 4.56, the 8.8 Ford Explorer axle never came with 4.56. There are a few places to buy 8.8 conversion hardware. I bought mine from MORE (Mountain Offroad). If your local preferred shop has what you need then use them. Previous owner of MORE created the 8.8 to Jeep swap.

So I am getting closer to starting this project and I am starting to gather up the pieces. I figured I would start with looking for the axles. What would y'all suggest for the front? I am definitely doing the 8.8 rear swap with 4.10 gears but I am not sure what to do up front. There is just a lot of information to go through and I don't want to make a bad choice.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'm gonna disagree w most everyone here.....

Looking at everything that is wrong I say completely forget what's there and start from scratch!

I suggest going back to spring under.

Try on this shopping list for size.

4 rubicon express 4.5" springs
4 shocks of your choice
Set of +1" shackles
4 spring perches
An 8.8 for the rear
A stock or aftermarket STRAIGHT draglink
1.25" body lift....

You would end up with a MUCH MUCH better riding and handling jeep.

Oh and 4:10 isn't low enough for 35's

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have been curious about taking it back to the original spring under and just getting a lift kit but I haven't priced it out. Why do you say 4:10 is not low enough? There is a chart that someone posted here and that was one of the ratios that was in the range for a 35" tire. I'm not dead set on that, I just want it to shift properly again so whatever that gear ratio is is what I want.

Even if I go the route you mentioned it still doesn't answer the front axle question. Should I try and regear the one that is in it or look for something stronger?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I didn't see if you said what transyou have but a 4.0 5 speed woks best w 4:10 for 31's 4.t6 for 33's and 5.13's for 35's IMHO

The charts mostly all assume 1:1 trans gear.... w overdrive they are wrong...

I've been running 4:10's on my yj w 33's for a couple years andalthough they work ok 4.56 wkuld be much better on the highway and of course lower works better offroad too

The front 30 works ok if you are easy on it.... no full throttle hill assaults and no hopping n bouncing trying to getover obstacles.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'll also add that even tho you said you want to keep the 35's.... dropping down to 33's only costs you 1" of ground clearance and 33" is possibly the best all around tire size for a yj.... they fit really well w a 4.5" lift which is a really good height for excellent offroad performance and great street manners.
My yj goes anywhere offroad and still cruises 80 mph on the interstate

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'll also add that even tho you said you want to keep the 35's.... dropping down to 33's only costs you 1" of ground clearance and 33" is possibly the best all around tire size for a yj.... they fit really well w a 4.5" lift which is a really good height for excellent offroad performance and great street manners.

My yj goes anywhere offroad and still cruises 80 mph on the interstate

I totally agree, especially for a daily driver. I'm very happy with mine on 33's(not trying to discourage you from 35's) 3.5" bds springs with 1" boom shackles(4.5" kit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Mine

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it and will take it to heart in my decisions. The 35's that are on it are in great condition and have very little wear, that's the only reason I want to keep them. I really don't feel like buying new tires along with everything else at the moment. Plus this is my weekend ride so they will be on it for a good while.

I don't really plan on doing any rock crawling unless there is a really good fishing hole to get to, mainly just forest roads and mud and such up in the mountains.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Shoot you wouldn't have any trouble swapping someone good 35's for better 33's.... so don't let that be the deciding factor... if you really want em then keep em but if 33's will do you can save effort and money and have a better all around vehicle in the end....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a donor 4.10 Dana 30 up front with the 1 piece TJ passenger axle shaft. I went thru the Rubicon last Aug with no issues. Now, I'm not romping the pedal when trying to get over rocks. This is with 33's and nothing beefed up in the front. You can get chromoly shafts for extra strength. If you are keeping 35's be gentle on the pedal when going over obstacles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
4.10s are perfect for 35s with the AX15 IMHO. Especially if its street driven often. With 3/4 tons and 35s, I was pulling 15+mpg city. And 2100rpms at 70 on the highway was very nice. And in 4lo, it was plenty low enough off road. The pic below was my daily driver set up for 2 years. Before that I had a D30/8.8 with 4.10s and 35s. Loved the 4.10s.

I would agree on it being easier to just go back to SUA though. But I'll disagree with Gottagofast on an SUA being better riding and better handling. A properly set up SOA is MUCH better riding. But it'll take more money to set it up properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Well I'm not exactly sayiny soa rides better than sua.... I'm saying that the springs I suggested set up sua with 33's will ride and handle better than what he has now....

Soa CAN be made to work very well but it will cost more and take more work...
I wouldn't say that soa rides better than sua though.... that's just silly.... either can ride well

As for the gears.... i don't see us reaching any common ground there.... my yj w 33's n 4:10's requires me to downshift more often than I like now... w 35's it would be worse.... i suppose you are more tolerant than me

21 - 40 of 84 Posts