Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 yj 2.5 manual trans... I was at a friends house and when I was leaving it cranked over once then nothing so I tried jump starting and it took awhile but it worked so I figured the battery was old so I replaced it and I had the guy at walmart test it .... took him awhile didn't know if he knew what he was doing or not but he said it was bad. So came home put the new battery in and started right up went to hooters was hanging out then nothing... tried jumping and nothing... so we push started it popped the clutch and good got all the way home like nothing happened about 10 miles or so... haven't tried starting it since this happened one time before with the old batt but that was the only time and I have no idea what it is I don't think its battery related seeing how its brand new.... any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Its probably your starter , as the the starter get older the resistance in the motor(of the starter) grows . Makes the starter sound weak and possibly the battery going bad . Do you hear a click when you try to turn the key ? Next time this happens , get your girl or on of your buddies to crank the engine and you bang on your started with a hammer or something blunt , if it frees up and starts ... theres your sign . But I am willing to bet its the starter

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
think about this. You just had the cables off, and now its having problems even with a brand new battery... start by cleaning your cable connections at the terminals, skuff 'em up really good then tighten them back down. Follow your cables to the opposing ends and be sure they are tight there are well. (where it bolts to the starter)

9 times out of 10 its just a bad connection at the terminal ends.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was leaning towards ans I think im gonna check the loose cable thing first just didn't understand why it would start cold then a couple hours later not ar all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts