Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I'm new to these forums and I have a pretty frustrating problem. I recently purchased a 1990, 2.5 L, 4 cyl, throttle body, jeep yj that won't start unless gas is poured down the throat of the carb. According to the person who I got it from, the problem started after the jeep sat for six months. I sprayed sea foam in the carb and put some carb cleaner in the tank, but still no dice. What do I do and what could be wrong?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Something in regards to the fuel delivery system. Check the fuel filter. Does it die shortly after you get it started with gas in the carb?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not really too sure. Idk anything mechanic wise (first car). According to the person I got it from the fuel lines and filter are new. After I get it started and pump the gas for a while, it idles fine without stalling. If I shut it off and walk away and try to start it up 5 or 10 mins later it starts up fine. But if I let it sit for a while 30 mins to an hour, I have to prime it again. Even when I drive it I dont come across any issues, just when I start it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Possibly a leaky gas line? Any fuel smell outside the jeep? If you have a pin hole in a fuel line it could be letting air in the line. Forcing you to prime the line and fuel filter. Would explain why it starts if you try it right after running it but not after it sits for a bit. Certainly not the only possibility, but one that is easy to check.

Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts