Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon WF! I just had some 31x10.5 BFG KO2's installed, man what a great riding tire!

My next step is a 2.5 inch lift, probably going with the ProComp lift, I like it as it is a comprehensive kit that includes TC drop, new sway bars, and other needed items.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-comp-stage-i-lift-kits/9387

(I say that to say I don't need anyone encouraging me to go with an OME lift kit, I know they are the best, but I just don't need to make that kind of investment on this jeep for it's use, won't be rock crawling or doing anything other than maybe a fire road or hunt camp.)

When I got the tires put on I decided to not do an alignment since the lift was coming and I would need one once I had that installed.

While I was talking to my tire shop guy about all that he made the comment, "while you are in there doing the lift, it would probably be a good idea to replace your steering components as well." I heard him, but at the time didn't think to elaborate with him on what components he would recommend.

So, with that, I wanted to come to the forum with your thoughts. While I am digging into the front end, this is the perfect time to spend a little more time and money to get it all updated and improved.

What should I replace? Tie rods? Steering stabilizer?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ball joints and Hubs as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I know you're set on not getting OME. So right now I have the rough country 4" lift, waiting to get replaced with OME. I'll update on the ride difference. However my point is that you could piece a lift together for much cheaper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know you're set on not getting OME. So right now I have the rough country 4" lift, waiting to get replaced with OME. I'll update on the ride difference. However my point is that you could piece a lift together for much cheaper.
You mean much cheaper than the ProComp set? I guess I shouldn't completely write off the OME. When do you expect to have your OME set-up installed?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
OME or RE or BDS.... all are FAR superior to rc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
OME or RE or BDS.... all are FAR superior to rc.
I am not looking at RC. RC doesn't make ProComp, do they?!
The answer is no. RC is their own brand. I will have my new leaf springs installed this weekend. I am very excited for the change. So far the springs and bushings for OME was $520 shipped. I recently purchased a full set of skyjacker hydro shocks, that was $180 so I'm $700 into a new lift kit setup. You could make your own t case drop at a hardware store. Most kits just give you fluff. You probably won't need a t case drop nor a slip yoke nor extended brake lines with a mild lift.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The answer is no. RC is their own brand. I will have my new leaf springs installed this weekend. I am very excited for the change. So far the springs and bushings for OME was $520 shipped. I recently purchased a full set of skyjacker hydro shocks, that was $180 so I'm $700 into a new lift kit setup. You could make your own t case drop at a hardware store. Most kits just give you fluff. You probably won't need a t case drop nor a slip yoke nor extended brake lines with a mild lift.
Really look forward to hearing how the OME do for you. I was all about the ProComp because 4WP had them on sale for 15% off plus a no tax sale and free shipping. That made the kit like $520 out the door.

Now it's off sale so it's $602 before tax and shipping. So it isn't as attractive of a buy.

I have the money for the OME, just question the decision to spend that much on something driven so little, basically a pull behind the motorhome beach cruiser. At the end of the day, this is just a 2.5 4cyl jeep. I know if I'm not careful I am going to have $10 grand in a $2500 jeep. At the end of the day, I guess that is fine too. The whole point is to enjoy it and make it your own, right? It's not an investment, it's a hobby.

I really look forward to hearing about your experience following the install.

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I bought my jeep I had no intention of installing higher priced parts into it. I bought the cheapest soft top, wheels and tires, suspension, seat covers, you name it. Now over the last few months I have sold all those cheap parts and bought the best in the line up. I highly regret restoring my jeep with lower end parts because now its costed me more money in the long run.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
When I bought my jeep I had no intention of installing higher priced parts into it. I bought the cheapest soft top, wheels and tires, suspension, seat covers, you name it. Now over the last few months I have sold all those cheap parts and bought the best in the line up. I highly regret restoring my jeep with lower end parts because now its costed me more money in the long run.
I found the same thing to be true, I spend time looking for good used oem parts, or quality aftermarket when I need something. It puts Mods on back burner sometimes while I'm waiting for Mrs. Got it to release funding, but now I'm only having to do it once. ie, AX-15 swap

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in less than 24 hours you may have convinced me to make the plunge for the better lift. My wife and I have a saying, do it right....do it once. May seem to cost a bit more up front, but in the long run, it is much less.

Thanks for the dialogue, and please keep me posted, look forward to hearing about it after the install.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Buy once. Cry once.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you are looking at an "all inclusive" kit, I'm not sure one exists. However, if Pro Comp is $602+taxes and shipping, look at Rubicon Express 2.5" kit. It has just about everything including quick disconnects. They only other item you might to consider are the shock relocation mounts.

I will second, it maybe third, the do it right the first time mantra. $1000 once is less than $600 twice.

·
Super Moderator
10,504 Posts
I will second, it maybe third, the do it right the first time mantra. $1000 once is less than $600 twice.
Except it isn't $1000.00 once is cheaper than $600.00 twice (which is true).
It ends up $600.00 once, then $1000.00 to do it right when the $600.00 parts crap out.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Registered
395 Posts
Glad to hear you're looking into high quality parts. Cheaper parts can get you by but you'll always end up regretting and wanting a do over when all is said and done. Pay the price now and you can always tell yourself "it doesn't get any better than this"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Except it isn't $1000.00 once is cheaper than $600.00 twice (which is true).
It ends up $600.00 once, then $1000.00 to do it right when the $600.00 parts crap out.

Good Luck, L.M.
Do they "crap out"? And if so, how? I called two custom jeep shops yesterday that install all types of lifts. I explained my use of the jeep, not building a crawler, just a beach cruiser and maybe light trail rider.

Both recommended RC. I told them I had the funds to do better, and asked them both about OME, RE, and ProComp. They steered me away from PC, said way to stiff.

They both, from exper, recommended to go RC. I said I don't mind making the investment, they said you don't need to, not worth the extra cost.

So I need to hear how the OME is so much better? Real world comparison. Or how the RC craps out after a year or so? There is a difference in breaking in and crapping out.

And considering this jeep is still riding on original springs and shocks, I think everything will be a drastic improvement.

·
Super Moderator
10,504 Posts
And considering this jeep is still riding on original springs and shocks, I think everything will be a drastic improvement.
I was speaking about parts and upgrades in general. I always want to buy the best parts I can afford.
I suggest to anyone to do their due diligence when making a purchase.

As far as RC lift kits, the general wisdom from many, many posts I've read is that RC springs ride rough. There have been several recent threads about lift kits, and I don't remember anyone recommending RC.
If you buy the RC lift kit, let us know your thoughts. If you join a local Jeep club, perhaps another YJ owner will allow you to drive his rig. It would be nice to "drive before you buy".

I replaced my sagging stock springs with stock height heavy duty springs and mid grade NAPA shocks. I realized a great improvement. The Jeep still has a moderately stiff ride that I find acceptable. YJs are running on slightly modified WW II suspension technology. I don't have high expectations about a comfortable ride.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Missed the pro comp.... pretty sure they're rock hard too
The reason the shops are pushing RC is because they sell it and make money w it....
Rough country springs are well known to be some of the roughest riding springs on the market....

Never get your advice from people who have their hands out wanting your money.... trust your fellow jeepers.... we have nothing to gain from selling you parts....

Rough country does make some decent components but not springs.... if they wanted to put their springs on my jeep for free I'd tell em to pound sand.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Agreed with GottaGo. We have nothing to gain here. I myself have a rough country lift and due to this lift I CANNOT imagine driving my jeep out of town for a short road trip. It is that rough. Ive also changed out the rc nitro shocks for skyjacker hydros, still rough but not as much. My lift is also just over 1 year old. That's the main reason for getting my old man emu lift...which should be delivered today but i dont have time until the weekend to install.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never get your advice from people who have their hands out wanting your money.... trust your fellow jeepers.... we have nothing to gain from selling you parts....
Good points, and to those points...

1) I told both shops during the conversation that I did my own work and would be buying my parts direct from manufacturer, not from them. And anyway, if I said to them (which I did) look, I have the money to buy the Old Man Emu, you just have to convince me that they are worth spending twice as much. Don't you think they would say, buy the OME then. But they didn't.

2) So last night I sold my old tubular bumper I pulled off when I installed my RockHard4x4 bumper set to a local guy with a YJ. He wasn't in his jeep, so I asked him, hey man, do you have a lift on yours? Yep, he said, a 2.5 inch rough country. What do you think of it, I said? He said when he got the jeep it had a 4 inch lift, but it was more than he wanted, so he bought the RC. And he loves it. To the point that his dad, who also has a yj, bought one to upgrade from stock, said it's great and a big improvement over stock.

So....there's that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts